eXtreme Programing and Agile Voodoo Diagrams
Agile is invented by non-coding managers to control coders.
I don't know coding. What to do? Get coders to watch each other. Pair programing!
If you hear “eXtreme Programing”, it's voodoo. One of its premise is “pair-programing”, meaning, 2 programers get together, then you code while i suck, then i code while you suck.
XP was the rage around 2001, with tens of books written on the subject. But it has subsided, and mutated to perhaps a milder form called Agile Programing. When XP was hot, in the same time is the “design patterns” movement. Then, it bursted into a hoard of “anti-patterns”.
What these voodoo encourage is less brain, less knowledge, less responsibility, less creativity. Instead, it emphasize collaboration, good attitude, follow the template, kiss the management.
In particular, it's loved by managers who can't write a line of code.
One characteristics of these voodoo is lots jargons and use of fancy diagrams.
Does it not look like a get rich fast scheme?
What “methodology” should you use? Understand mathematics, be knowledgeable, be healthy, and good general education such as history, philosophy, literature, and, be a nice person.
for other opinions on eXtreme Programing, Agile, see:
- Erik Meijer on Xtreme Programing and Agile
- 〔Programming Motherfucker By Zed Shaw. @ http://programming-motherfucker.com/〕
- 〔Extreme Programming Explained By Yossi Kreinin. @ http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html〕
- 〔Software Development: It's a Religion By Jeff Atwood. @ http://blog.codinghorror.com/software-development-its-a-religion/〕
- 〔Good Agile, Bad Agile By Steve Yegge. @ http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2006/09/good-agile-bad-agile_27.html〕
- 〔Why do some developers at strong companies like Google consider Agile development to be nonsense? By Michael O Church. @ http://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-developers-at-strong-companies-like-Google-consider-Agile-development-to-be-nonsense/answer/Michael-O-Church〕