Unicode Symbol Become Emoji
Some unicode symbols, now become emoji, which makes many math symbols not usable.
This is annoying.
- ↔ U+2194: LEFT RIGHT ARROW. Displayed as text.
- ↔ U+2194: LEFT RIGHT ARROW. Displayed as emoji.
When is Text, When is Emoji?
By Unicode's spec:
- Some characters have both emoji and textual presentation.
- Some characters have only emoji presentation.
- Some characters have only textual presentation.
For those that have both emoji and textual presentation, Unicode specifies which one should be default.
A “Variation Selector” can be used to chose a presentation.
“Variation Selector” is a invisible character. It indicates a rendering preference for the character before it.
Browser or application do not necessarily respect the variation selector. For example, twitter renders vast majority of emoji as emoji, and ignores the variation selector.
There's no programable way to tell which character have both emoji and or text presentation.
Unicode Variation Selector
- Variation Selectors is used to indicate a desired presentation.
- Variation Selectors are invisible characters.
- A Variation Selector is placed immediately after another character, to indicate a preferred rendering.
- There are 16 Variation Selectors, from code point U+FE00 to U+FE0F. They are abbreviated as VS1 to VS16.
Variation Selector 15 and 16 are used to indicate text rendering or emoji rendering, for those character that have both presentation.
- “U+FE0E: VARIATION SELECTOR-15”
- Indicator for text rendering.
- “U+FE0F: VARIATION SELECTOR-16”
- Indicator for emoji rendering.
Unicode Variation Selector Usually Has No Effect
Here is some characters with both emoji and text presentation.
Here's what your browser shows:
|name||No VS||with VS15||with VS16||Can be Emoji or Text,|
Unicode Spec Default
|U+26BD: SOCCER BALL||⚽||⚽︎||⚽️||Emoji|
|U+2194: LEFT RIGHT ARROW||↔||↔︎||↔️||Emoji|
|U+2122: TRADE MARK SIGN||™||™︎||™️||Text|
- if you want a character to show as symbol, use symbol font. e.g.
"Segoe UI Symbol", "Apple Symbols"
- if you want a character to show as emoji, use emoji font. e.g.
"Segoe UI Emoji", "Apple Color Emoji"
Which Characters Can Become Emoji?
Can be Emoji or Text, Default to Emoji
The following can be emoji or text, default to emoji. (In practice, what it actually shows mostly depend on font or the app.)
Can be Emoji or Text, Default to Text
The following can be emoji or text, default to text. (In practice, what it actually shows mostly depend on font or the app.)
Always Shown as Emoji, Only
The following can only be shown as emoji. (In practice, what it actually shows mostly depend on font or the app.)
This table shows all character that have emoji and or text presentation.
[Text vs Emoji, v11.0 By Unicode Consortium. At http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/text-style.html ]
It's not well written. Very confusing.
Here is what the column means:
- “+EP -EPSq”
- Emoji only. E.g. 😂 (U+1F602: FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY)
- “+EP +EPSq”
- Both. Default emoji. E.g. ⚽ (U+26BD: SOCCER BALL)
- “-EP +EPSq”
- Both. Default text. E.g. ™ (U+2122: TRADE MARK SIGN)
- “-EP -EPSq”
- Always text. E.g. A
See also: Emoji Politics
2018-06-19 thanks to [ twitter FakeUnicode ] [ 2016-08-19 https://twitter.com/FakeUnicode/status/766873680366280705 ]