Emacs fill-paragraph Problem
Emacs has a command
fill-paragraph 【Alt+q】 that does hard-wrap of current paragraph (it inserts a newline char at every ~70 chars.)
Emacs also has
fill-region, which acts on a text selection.
However, there are some usability problems with these commands.
This page discuss the problems and fixes.
One frequently asked question is how to “unfill” — do inverse of
Technically, this means replacing newline char by space.
Emacs does not have a built-in command for this.
The typical answer to this question, is to set the cut-width to a huge number (For example, set fill-column to 10001000), then Alt+x
fill-paragraph, then set fill-column back to previous value.
This is inconvenient.
If you need to reformat several paragraphs, Alt+x
There is no keyboard shortcut.
Auto Toggle Fill/Unfill/Region
- Emacs Modernization: Simple Changes Emacs Should Adopt
- Why Emacs Keys are Painful
- Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
- Emacs M-key Notation vs Alt+key Notation
- Emacs Menu Usability Problem
- Emacs Mode Line Problem
- Emacs cua-mode Problems
- Emacs: Inconsistency of Search Features
- Problems of grep in Emacs
- Emacs: Usability Problems of Mode Documentation
- Problems of Emacs Manual
- Emacs Manual Sucks by Examples
- Emacs: kill-buffer Induces Buffer Accumulation
- Emacs Spell Checker Problems
- Emacs Form Feed ^L Problems
- Emacs: Single Key to Delete Whole Line
- Emacs HTML Mode Sucks
- Emacs Does Not Support Viewing Images Files In Windows
- Emacs Should Adopt HTML as Texinfo Replacement
- Emacs Should Support HTML Mail
- Problems of Emacs's “man” Command
- Emacs Lisp Mode Syntax Coloring Problem
- Emacs AutoHotkey Mode Problems
- Emacs Lisp: Ban Syntax Table
- Emacs: Make elisp-index-search use Current Symbol
- Emacs GNU Texinfo Problems; Invalid HTML
- A Record of Frustration in IT Industry; Disappearing FSF URLs, 2006
- Emacs Manual Node Persistency Issues
- Emacs: dired-do-query-replace-regex Replace ALL (fixed)
- Problems of Emacs Supporting Obsolete Systems
- Emacs Lisp: Function to Copy/Delete a Dir Recursively (fixed)
- Thoughts on Common Lisp Scheme Lisp Based Emacs
- Text Editors Popularity and Market Research
- Text Editor's Cursor Movement Behavior (emacs, vi, Notepad++)
- Emacs: Toggle Letter Case 🚀
- Emacs: Select Line, between Quotes, Extend Selection 🚀
- Emacs: isearch Current Word 🚀
- Emacs fill-paragraph Problem