Emacs 27: ido mode 👎
- This page describe ido in Emacs 27 (Released 2020-08)
- If you are using Emacs 28 (Released 2022-04), i recommend Emacs: icomplete, Name Completion .
ido-mode enhances emacs switch buffer command and opening file command. It automatically show list of choices as you type (no need to press Tab first).
- Toggle it on/off. ido-mode enhances emacs switch buffer command and opening file command.
- Switch buffer.
- Open file.
ido-switch-buffer is called, it prompt for a choice of buffer name.
Here's the most useful ido keys when in the prompt:
- → or Ctrl+s
- next choice.
- ← or Ctrl+r
- previous choice.
- Go to the buffer you switched to last time. ↓ for next.
- Use the first choice.
- Stop suggestion. Useful for creating new file. Ctrl+b to go back to buffer selection mode.
- Switch to open directory mode.
Ido Mode Setup
Emacs: Ido Mode Setup 👎
History of Ido Mode
ido is written by Kim F Storm. Ido started in 1996. Kim is also author of
cua-mode. (cua started in 1997) Kim's home page is
Ido became part of emacs 22 (released in 2007).
ido is based on
iswitchb-mode by Stephen Eglen. iswitchb started in 1996. Stephen's home page is
Stephen's emacs page