How to Disable Windows Startup Apps
Is your Windows starting super slow?
You can disable the apps that starts when system starts.
To disable auto start of apps:
- Press 【❖ Window+r】
- Then, type
- Then, click on the “Startup” tab.
- Uncheck the checkbox to disable auto-start.
Those not from Microsoft are good candidates to disable.
You can also disable some Services.
Services are like hidden apps. They do something useful in the background.
Click the “Services” tab. Here, you should know what they are before you disable.
WARNING: Disabling critical services can cause problems.
Here's some i disabled:
- Apple Mobile Device (i don't own any iPod, iPhone stuff)
- iPod Service
- Bonjour Service (from Apple. If you don't have local networks, disable it.)
- HP Health Check Service (crap from HP)
CCleaner is a wonderful tool. In a easy way, it lets you delete all the cache and temp files of various browsers and Windows files.
Here's some startup processes i removed recently:
- ehtray.exe (Microsoft Media Center) a process is the tray bar process for the Microsoft Media Center. It gives you easy access to the digital media manager.
- qttask.exe (Apple) lets you have a system tray to start QuickTime.
- AppleMobileDeviceService (Apple) If you don't own Apple mobile devices, remove it.
- Reader_SL (from Adobe).
- iTunesHelper (from Apple).
- switcher.exe (from Sony) Wireless switcher thing. Uber junk. About anything from SONY is junk.
For other great Windows software i personally use, see: List of Great Windows Software.