Emacs: Command to Toggle Monospace/Proportional Font
- Toggle between fixed-width and variable-width font. (monospace vs proportional), for current buffer.
Proportional font is useful for reading info doc, email, etc. Proportional font is easier to read, and shows 20 or more characters per line. It also works great for coding too (except Python). Try it. You may be surprised.
(Thanks to Oscar Carlsson for suggesting variable-pitch-mode.)
Setup Proportional Font by Major Mode
Here's how to make some mode always use proportional font.
Put this in your Emacs Init File:
(progn ;; use variable-width font for some modes (defun xah-use-variable-width-font () "Set current buffer to use variable-width font." (variable-pitch-mode 1) ;; (text-scale-increase 1 ) ) (add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook 'xah-use-variable-width-font) (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'xah-use-variable-width-font) (add-hook 'js-mode-hook 'xah-use-variable-width-font) (add-hook 'css-mode-hook 'xah-use-variable-width-font) (add-hook 'html-mode-hook 'xah-use-variable-width-font) (add-hook 'mhtml-mode-hook 'xah-use-variable-width-font))
- Change Font Size in Current Buffer
- Change Default Font Size by Command
- describe-char, Find Current Font Used
- Toggle Monospace/Proportional Font
- Best Unicode Fonts for Programer
- Cycle Fonts by Command
- Display Lambda as λ