Great Software for Windows
This page lists great software for Windows that i personally use. Most are also available for Mac and Linux.
- Windows → IrfanView
- Mac → GraphicConverter, best in 90s. i haven't used since 2009
- Linux: Image Viewers
Image Editor, Paint, Line Drawing
- Microsoft Windows → ShareX
- OBS. for sreaming YouTube twitch etc. Open Broadcaster Software
- DVD-ripper. HandBrake → Can't really rip encripted DVD. But good for converting DVD format to some video format as a file.
- Convert Video from Different Formats
Screen Video Capture, Screencasting, Softwares
- VLC media player
See: Audio Recorder, Synthesizers, MIDI Software .
ebook file Reader
- Calibre (software) (epub)
Microsoft Help File (.chm)
File Sharing, BitTorrent
- Transmission (BitTorrent client) (Mac, Linux)
- Deluge (software) (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Vuze (Windows, Mac). Requires Java. I do not recommend.
- Windows: μTorrent
- Practical Emacs Tutorial
Keyboard Macros and Launchers
File Secure Deletion
See: How to Secure Delete Files, Shred Files, Wipe Drive .
3D Modeling Software
List of 3D Modeling Software .
Mac: build-in. But to install extra, use Fink or MacPorts.
Windows: Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2) Old school is Cygwin. [see Installing Cygwin Tutorial]
VirtualBox. Best tool for running linux on Windows. [see How to Install Linux on VirtualBox]
- ssh in cygwin
on Windows 10, just use its default.
old: Windows: Best Anti-virus Software .
Graphical tool for showing folder size
- Disk Usage Analyzer
- qdirstat https://github.com/shundhammer/qdirstat
- Disk Inventory X Disk Inventory X
- grandPerspective http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/
Windows Tools for Programer
- Process Explorer At http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
- FTP client. FileZilla
- FTP client, Firefox add-on: FireFTP.
- 7-zip (zip, unzip, gzip, extracting installer exe etc.)
- i never used. Microsoft Log Parser 2.2. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24659
- Cacls Command line tool to view or set file permissions.
For monitoring network, see also: tool for monitoring network traffic on Windows 7 Home At http://superuser.com/questions/302559/tool-for-monitoring-network-traffic-on-windows-7-home/
Inno Setup. (create installers)
This isn't exhaustive list of install software. Though, it contains all apps i use daily.
- Daily: emacs, cygwin, Google Chrome, Firefox, IrfanView, Safari, Opera, Skype.
- Weekly: GIMP, iTunes, Mathematica, VirtualBox, Firestorm/Phoenix (Second Life), Inkscape, Google Earth, Picasa, Thunderbird. (Mathematica should be there)
Just noticed a Walmart Photo Center there. lol. That's one of those
bundled bloatware which somehow escaped my notice.
It's going to trash now.
Also, note that
ComboFix.exe. It is supposed to be a rootkit detector or remover, but i haven't researched enough to be sure it's good. It is there temporarily.
For tools i use on linux, see: Xah Linux Setup .
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.