Keyboard Hardware Dvorak vs Software Dvorak
Which is better, keyboard with Dvorak layout builtin, or software Dvorak via the operating system?
There are advantages for both. Overall, hardware dvorak is much better.
Hardware Dvorak Advantage
- Plug in keyboard to any computer and use right away. No need to switch layout in Operating system.
- Your co-worker can type with another keyboard plugged into the same computer, or the builtin laptop keyboard.
- If you type Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, or using any input methods based on English letters, now you can type it using Dvorak layout.
- Cannot use Dvorak layout with QWERTY shortcuts. (you shouldn't do this anyway. its bad habit. Shortcuts on dvorak are fine.)
Software Dvorak Advantage
- On Mac or Linux, you can use a layout of Dvorak with QWERTY shortcuts.
- If you have a laptop and a external keyboard of hardware Dvorak, and you turn on Dvorak layout for your laptop, the external keyboard will now type gibberish. You don't have this problem if all your keyboards are software Dvorak.
- Some games do not support software dvorak.
- Must switch layout every time on a new computer, at work or home.
- If sharing a computer, each person must switch layout first.
- If you type Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, or using any input methods based on English letters, you cannot type it using Dvorak layout on Microsoft Windows and Linux. (On MacOS, you can, by switching first to dvorak, then to Chinese or other.)
- If you have a programable mouse, such as Logitech G604 Mouse, and you programed a button to do Copy, it won't work anymore because Ctrl+c becomes Ctrl+j.
Using software Dvorak, you can toggle between QWERTY or DVORAK, by pressing Left Alt+Shift or ❖ Window+Space .
Using hardware Dvorak, you can usually toggle either by pressing a special key, or by using a switch on the back of the keyboard. It depends on the keyboard.
For example, on Kinesis Advantage Keyboard, you can switch by pressing special button progm+F3 for QWERTY and progm+F4 for Dvorak.
See also: List of Dvorak Keyboards
Ergonomic keyboard Layouts
- Most Efficient Layout?
- Maltron vs Dvorak
- Colemak vs Workman
- Typing Multi Layouts
- Dvorak Layout
- Hardware vs Software Dvorak
- Myth of QWERTY vs Dvorak
- Dvorak vs Programer's Dvorak
- Dvorak vs Colemak
- Blank Keycaps vs Labeled Keys
- List of Dvorak Keyboards
- Qwerty to Dvorak, A PhD thesis, 1978
- International Layouts
- QWERTZ, AZERTY
- German Ergonomic
- New French Layout
- French Ergonomic
- French Letter Frequency
- Russian Layout and Programing
- Portuguese Ergonomic
Chinese Input Methods
- Pinyin Letter Frequency 拼音字母頻率
Japanese Input Method
- Japanese Char Frequency
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.