PC Keyboards ⌨
These reviews are design analysis with respect to pure function and efficiency (less focus on fashion), and a meta summary of reading hundreds of user's comments from amazon and other keyboard forums.
Basically, i do not recommend non-ergonomic keyboards. Those who prefer non-ergo keyboard do not Touch-Type, which is alright. [see Touch-Typing, a Relic of Keyboard Design?]
However, non-ergo PC keyboards are pretty much all the same. As long as you have mechanical keys, which type of switch mechanism does not matter that much. The keycap quality and other issues, are not critical.
Of these flat keyboards (which i don't actually use since 2006) [see How to Avoid Emacs Pinky], the qualities that gets high rating for me are:
- Mechanical keys [see Keyboard Key Switch Mechanisms]
- Programable. example: set CapsLock to Escape.
- Onboard memory. (plug in to any computer to have custom macro/layout. No need to install software.)
- Driverless programable. (just press keys to remap keys or record macro. No need to launch software.) [see Keyboard Firmware]
- Key lable don't wear off. [see Key Label Tech]
- Full sized function keys F1 to F12, and they should have gaps between groups of 4. (Extra macro keys is a plus.) [see Why Function Keys Are Useful]
- Short spacebar. So more thumb keys. [see Tiny Spacebar]
- Spacebar do not make a loud thud noise.
- Has physical media keys. Volume wheel is a major plus. [see Keyboards with Volume Wheel]
- No Fn key. Because it's usually hardwired, meaning, you can't remap it, meaning, a dead horse squatting in front yard.
Other issues, such as whether it has numerical keypad, how compact it is, how light weight or heavy it is, wired or wireless, what color LED light show it does, is up to you.
For ergo/split ones, see Ergonomic Keyboard Reviews
cheap and ok
Hall Effect Switch
- Logitech Gaming Keyboards
- CM Storm NovaTouch
- Keyboards Without Numeric Keypad, Under $30
- KBC Poker Keyboard, Ducky Keyboard
- Logitech G610 Keyboard
- CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i keyboard
- Cherry G84 4100 Keyboard
- Razer BlackWidow Keyboard