Xah keyboard Blog
Xah Keyboard Blog Archive
- gonna go have a whiff of cig, then, sit my ass back on ma power station
- with fantastic xbows red switches keyboard that allows me code a river in no time!
- just did breakfast in bed
- and enough reading random
- and while am lying in bed am using the fantastic red switches of the k60 keyboard
- red switch heaven
- or, more properly put, light linear switch heaven
- now if u r new to mech key switches, i recommend, dev a habit towards linear light switches.
- if u already have experience, u probably know what u like.
- each person have diff finger build, strength, reflex, agility, etc, on how to press keys
- so lite linear switch may not be for everyone, but i recommend u try, if u just starting. good for long term
- i used to think the common thought that linear switches r for gamers, and tactile or clicky r for typists. but now i think that's incorrect, due to historical habit. i think that, tactile or clicky, are useful only if it is critical to know if a switch has been activated. such as, in a key macro pad. but for typing, lots typing, linear is better.
- Emacs: Xah Fly Keys Tutorial
- Thumb Keyboard Layouts
- Hands Down Layout
- Turkish Keyboard Layout
- Ergonomic Keyboard Layouts
started to use Sticky Key again, on Microsoft Windows. So far, great experience.
- this, still best Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring
Ah. My rsi is creeping back. Too much careless typing in this week. Gotta be super careful. One thing about rsi is that, it is not necessary just too much typing, but too much mindless typing. Meaning, u r not paying attention to proper form or rsi.
Now switching back to this custome num layout. Efficient Layout for Numbers was trying to use normal about 2 weeks ago, thinking, i got too much remap. The problem was, on diff comp, diff keyboard, too confusing and too much to manage. especially when on a tablet. the number remap makes the touch screen keyboard unusable. it doesn't update. But now, switch it back. When typing chinese, or when using lots numbers, the efficiency outweight the remap inconvenience .
- 2022-06-05 xtodo read keyboard connectors/scancode/protocols. https://sharktastica.co.uk/guides/soarers_1
BBC Micro Computer 1981
- xtodo work in progress Emacs Keyboard History
- massive update Lisp Machine Keyboards
- Stanford AI Lab (SAIL) keyboard
- Space Cadet Keyboard
- Symbolics Space Cadet Keyboard
- LMI Lambda Keyboard
and more major updates:
xah talk show 2022-05-24 best stylus, pen input, trackball, and why happy hacking keyboard sucks
- Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring added a ring spin movie
update a ton
these are the best palm rest
I dislike any keyboard with palm rest. If it cannot be detached, no buy. Use bath towels or books instead. Much more practical and comfy.
Most of the time i got lazy and rest palm on my kinesis advantage 2. But whenever next few min am gonna type nonstop in a burst, i hover. From experience, not hover causes stress on hand. I learned this the hard way. And sometimes when typing in a burst and too lazy to hover, as in some spontaneous debate, i regret not hover. 🙂
Yes, i learned to start to hoover per the proper way, since around 2014 maybe. Even on kinesis. Whenever i need to type a lot, like, next 5 min continuous typing, i hover. Makes a big difference. Have article somewhere. Alternatively, use books or tower, such that they are 5cm high, so that ur fingers dip onto the keys. On kinesis, ur fingers already dip in, but i think not high enough. The point is, even when on kinesis, i feel less stress if i hover to type.
these are the best palm rest
How to Touch-Type
updated or new
- wife wants RENPHO Leg Massager Buy at amazon
- Keyboard Key Switch Mechanisms
- Mechanical Keyboard Noise Comparison
- Xah's Favorite Key Switches
- Key Switch Activation Force
- Gateron Switches
xtodo work in progress
Keyboard Design Flaws
which aspect of keyboard ergonomics is more important?
- Most important: mech switch, light.
- The shortcut system used. E.g. Emacs default keybinding vs vim, vs xah-fly-keys, etc. Basically, avoid control combo, or have thumb key for them.
- At least 6 keys distance apart from left/right hand. (aka split. 1 physical piece with split sections or 2 physically split pieces.)
- Tenting. 20deg is normal. This is important if you really have hands on keyboard several hours a day.
- The other issues: ortholinear layout. Letter layout (dvorak vs qwerty), are less important.
cleaned up and removed lots old. PC Keyboards ⌨
added a video
now there is a search box. 870 articles.
- Famous Programers with Repetitive Strain Injury, minor update
- new layout, halmak. Ergonomic Keyboard Layouts
- Why Alt Tab is Inefficient
- How to Set Key to Switch to Browser
- Windows: Key to Launch or Switch App
- AutoHotkey: Switch or Launch App
Mac dock station
recommended to me by Andy Lee and ctietze.
- CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 87W Charging, 7X USB 3.1 Ports, USB-C Gen 2, DisplayPort, UHS-II SD Card Slot, Gigabit Ethernet for Mac n PC, Thunderbolt 4 Compatible (0.7m/2.3ft Cable) Buy at amazon
Supports two external monitors at 4K 60Hz, or 6K resolution if you are using Apple M1 Pro. Single external monitor 4K 144 Hz. 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet. Audio in and out. Thunderbolt 4 host + 2 downstream Thunderbolt 4. Three other USB-C. Four USB-A. DisplayPort. SD/microSD.
The only negative is no HDMI port, but can use DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, or USB-C to HDMI adapter.
—2022-02-23, Andy Lee
3D Gel Breast Mousepad
Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring
Yes. To my suprised, they are diff. That is, been using surface pro 4 since 2019, and since, have had several pen. The original ms ones, and 2 variant active china cheapo, and inactive ones with disk tip and also a mesh tip.... But anyway, turns out, a active pen, and finger, and mouse, they work differently, as opposed to one emulating the other.
Both finger and active pen does not work as well as a mouse or trackpad, in the sense that finger or active pen sometimes simply does not work, cannot activate a right click or selection or cannot drag, in certain app or situations.
In terms of traditional pointer functionality, mouse is best, then finger, then active pen on surface tablet.
I also have the drawing tablet. The drawing tablet as a pointer have somewhat similar problem with active pen on the screen, but better. Quite a interesting saga.
Because before, i thought, finger touch screen or active pen on screen, are just emulation of the mouse pointer by software in OS. Not at all. They are very different implementation of the pointer. At least on MS Windows 10. .
Also, it may or may not matter, the above experience is with respect to using windows in normal windows mode, not tablet mode.
Another relevant point we need to mention is that, windows has this setting about pen, about "let me use it as mouse". It does have some effect in some app, as making it more functional pointer, but overall, still does not work in some situations.
but let me mention, all these detail normally doesn't matter. except, in vivaldi and firefox, u cannot use the pen to swipe on screen to scroll. Which is the most major pain. And plus, in chrome, sometimes, it is impossible to right click with the pen, or impossible to make a text selection of more than 1 word.
Logitech G300s Gaming Mouse
USB-C is Bad
Xah Keyboard Blog Archive