Xah keyboard Blog
Xah Keyboard Blog Archive
Xah Emacs Blog
Kinesis/ErgoDox Keyboard Layouts
Space Cadet Keycaps
random old articles.
added a video. trackball that spins forever. air bearing.
Trackballs That Can Spin
added a where to buy, on aliexpress
Keyboardio recently worked with technomancy to produce the Atreus keyboard.
Am quite disappointed. Of all great DIY keyboards, they chose to do this 42 keys ultra mini keyboard. Keyboards with less than 60 keys are hand pain inducing, because they force you to use key chords, even for numbers and basic punctuations.
Anyway, here's the unboxing by key switch expert Chyrosran22 at Atreus Keyboard. also, link to their kickstart at bottom of the page.
and here's my review of keyboardio:
linux kernel now supports Elecom's trackballs Fn buttons
Ban Key Chords
coiled braided cable
finally, i knew the name of this thing.
you have hand pain using a mouse
- @dxlr8r have you ever used a trackball?
- the issue with pain using mouse is that, you have to watch out for how you use it. how you hold it.
- and also, how many hours you use mouse.
- if you use a lot, here's few tips:
- don't palm hold. best is finger tip. like, almost never even actually touch the mouse. just nudge it when needed.
- don't touch the mouse when not actually using it. e.g. some people have hand on mouse, in between actual use.
- if you use mouse a lot, when you touch mouse, try to have palm 30 degree, almost like how you'd hold a vertical mouse. Don't palm down, which is 0 degree. like palm hold style.
- also, if you can get used to, turn on auto-click. meaning, when mouse stops moving, it auto clicks. this way, you never have to left click. This is a major tip. i've been using auto click for some 9 years.
- now, if you already have pain with mouse, then, you could try vertical mouse or trackball.
- note about trackball, there are similar issues if your hold habit is bad.
- for thumb trackball, many get thumb problems. The solution is, don't just hold the thing and move the thumb. instead, try to relax and use whole hand to move ball, so reducing thumb movement.
- for fingertip trackball, you are prone to have same issue as mouse, namely, pronation. (palm down) Solution is, again, try to use trackball while palm is 30 degree. and when not actively actually using it, don't touch the trackball.
with that said, check out my recommendations of devices.
Ultimate Hacking vs Kinesis Advantage2
in past 2 months, and now, been typing on UHK. it's excellent. but this week been also back to Kinesis Advantage2 now and then. I must say, Kinesis is GOOD, even better. If it has red switches, i absolutely prefer Kinesis. (i have red switches on UHK)
Logitech G Hub, Worst Mouse Software
Logitech latest gaming software, the g hub, bricked my onboard memory settings for Logitech G502 Mouse
Apparently, the g hub is now mostly cloud based. Logitech few years ago has truly the best software. Most intuitive. But now, the worst. And also greedy. It is problematic to program the onboard memory, forcing you to always rely on their driver software plus internet connection and sending your data to them. Like Razer
When buying a mouse or keyboard, the most important thing is programability and onboard memory. Meaning, set keys to what you want, and plug in the mouse in any computer, and you have your settings, no need to install another software or spend time to config again. Logitech stuff been good. But now like razer, faak. They now focusing on cloud. Require their driver software always present, and internet connection, so they can monitor your usage and sending your stat to them so they can sell data. But the faaking idiotic gamers, teen whatnot, think oh my god so cool auto profiles etc shit.
New Firmware and Model of Kinesis Advantage2 Keyboard
Kinesis Advantage2 Keyboard Review
installed new firmware. my kinesis advantage2 is dated 2016-08, when it came out. apparently, they have newer version. New version has 4M memory. Mine has 2M. New version has visual keyboard programing software called SmartSet, bundled in the memory. (so, no install required) For mine model, you have to download it.
logitech's new keyboard, G815/G915
xah on discord on keyboard
for emacs stuff, read Emacs Keys
and read this for a comprehensive overview on the keyboard software side emacs and vi: Science of Command Efficiency
Is Keyboard Tenting Important?
coronavirus mask, you need to buy. preorder. 3M(TM) Particulate Respirator 8210V, N95 Respiratory Protection 10/Box amazon
stock up on food soup
raw organic whey. amazon you need to stock up for zombie death
new model of X-Bows, the Knight
Bat Chording Keyboard
added a user review. plus other update.
remove 【lenticular brackets】 for keyboard shortcut notation
updated articles. removed 【lenticular brackets】 for keyboard shortcut notation. For example, i used to write 【Ctrl+c】 now it's just Ctrl+c
- Why Function Keys Are Useful
- How to Program Number Keypad as Function Keys
- Difference Between Apple and PC keyboards
- Ban Key Chords
- Emacs + Keyboard Geeking, the Nth Episode 2012-03
- How to Change macOS Keybinding
- Mac Keyboard Tools
- Alt Graph Key, Compose Key, Dead Key
- How to Remap/Program Kinesis Keyboard Keys
- Keyboard Shortcut vs Launch Buttons
- Keyboard Notation Design Issues
- Microsoft IntelliType Review
- Keyboard Shortcut Notations
- Keyboard Shortcuts Conflict in Web Browsers and Mac, Windows
- Kinesis Savant Elite2 Foot Pedal
- Design of Math Symbols Input System
- Keyboard Menu/App Key
- Emacs vs vim, Compute Keybinding Efficiency
- Why Function Keys Are Useful
- Evolution of Laptop Keyboards, No More Page Up/Down Keys!
- Keybinding Design, Fast-Repeat Commands
- CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i keyboard
- NEC M-System keyboard
- Why Undo Cut Shortcut Keys Are Bad?
- Microsoft IntelliType Hacks
- Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
- Mac OS X: Keybinding DefaultKeyBinding.dict Problems
- Bad Keyboard Advice from Programers
- How to Set Key to Switch to Browser
- Sticky Key
- Why You Need 9 Buttons Mouse
- Keyboard Evolution: Zoom Button, Dedicated Keys
- Print Screen, SysRq, ScrLk, Pause, Break Keys
- History of Emacs and vi Keys
- Keyboard Modifier Keys, Short Survey
- Efficient Layout for Numbers
- How to Increase Efficiency in Using Mac, Linux, Windows
- The Idiocy of Happy Hacking Keyboard
- Backspace Key: Key Label's Influence on Key Purpose
- Logitech G700s Mouse
- Mouse vs Keyboard: Is Mouse Bad for Programer?
- vi, Emacs, Keybinding Design
- Havit RGB Mouse
- Logitech Webcam Review
- Microsoft IntelliType Common Questions
- Mac OS X Keybinding Key Syntax
Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 2TB Internal Solid State Drive amazon
so, solid state drives are getting cheaper and larger. by the way, is this trend gonna continue, or, what's the technology's limit?
a friend says, yes it's gonna continue.
what's the best device for typing? how about gaming? and what is linear programing?
@Anon21 asks: In your opinion what's the most optimal device to type and game on and what is the most optimal video game keybind layout? (WASD, ESDF, TFGH, IJKL etc.)
That's a complex question. There's no one easy answer.
in general, the specifically designed, weird looking devices, are best, for specific task.
For example, what's the best device for typing? If the typing is speech text, then best is probably google voice input. But if we must restrict to finger operated devices and consider ergonomics and speed, then a stenotype [see Stenotype Machine] is probably best, but, that means we are not counting learning time, and practical inconvenience, cuz you don't have a stenotype on every computer.
So in general, there's ergonomics concern, and practicality concern, for example, Steno machine vs normal PC keyboard vs ergo keyboard like kinesis vs average ergo such as Microsoft or generic split mech keyboard. All has pro and cons.
It's like, multiple variables, and the method to solve such problem is called Linear Programing.
That is, you have variables like potential typing speed capability of the device, long term ergonomic consideration (say 2 hours continuous use per day for 3 years) , convenience consideration (how available is the device), type of input data (speech chat, poem, programing), length of input per day (i.e. How much u actually need to type per day), how long it takes to learn it (e.g. voice vs steno vs other chorded keyboard design), etc. Multiple variables.
For each of these variable, we quantify it. Say 0 to 1. Then, we set satisfaction constraints. for example, the device's ergonomic score must be greater than 0.6, and the potential speed must be greater than 0.5, and learning time required must be less than 0.4, and availability or portability of the device must be greater than 0.6, etc. Then, we measure the scores of each device. Then we check which devices satisfies all inequalities. This is called Linear Programing. And the above is only about the question of: which is the best for typing. Similar can be said for which is best for gaming. There, you have variables like which game exactly, or which category of games, or what kinda mix of games, etc.
How to Avoid Mouse Hand Pain
Valve Steam Controller is no longer made. And, is it good as mouse replacement on a personal computer? updated.
here's history. Valve Steam Trackball Controller
video demo of Kailh BOX Switch
added to Guide to Keyboard Key Switch Mechanisms
video Demo of Different Force-Displacement Curves for Key Press
added to Guide to Keyboard Key Switch Mechanisms
following is originally posted on 2017-07-17
apparently, some nerds are still designing keyboard letter layouts.
- see http://mtgap.bilfo.com/completed_keyboard.html
it's like, is x++ faster or x=x+1? Like, keep hacking a dead horse.
it's by Michael Dickens
His layout is called MTGAP layout. Apparently based on evolutionary algorithm.
I haven't looked into detail what he's doing, but he seems to have spent significant effort, for like 10 years.
he's got a list of layouts, more than that i know. But lots of it is now dead link. See http://mdickens.me/typing/alternative_layouts.html
been using Ultimate Hacking Keyboard in past 10 days. now i put it back in Xah Lee's Best Ergonomic Keyboards
todo. study. create own page. put it on a index page.
two articles on ergonomics.
Microsoft Windows Keyboard Software Guide
updated. New navigation panel. These articles are slightly old.
Ban Mouse Micro Switch
ban mouse micro switch. they always have drag double click problems.
my tentative research on best laptops under $1k.
Kensington Pro Fit Ergonomic Keyboard
new ergo keyboard. haven't studied it yet.
Kensington Pro Fit Ergonomic Wired Keyboard (K75400US) Buy at amazon
ergo keyboards is getting more popular.
flat ergo comparison
i'd just get X-Bows Keyboard Review
but see also Is Keyboard Tenting Important?
on the keyboard department, did i mention, due to life circumstances, i switched from kinesis of 4 years Kinesis Advantage2 Keyboard Review to uhk Ultimate Hacking Keyboard as main. For a change. we'll see what happens next.
Just redone the navbar. So the navbar is on the left in the following pages Microsoft Windows Keyboard Software Guide
Those pages are a bit old. Because i haven't been on Microsoft Windows much, but most importantly, i started to use programable keyboards, which is superior than OS key programing.
Programable Keyboards with Onboard Memory
Windows: How to swap Mouse Buttons: Right-Click, Middle-Click
PC Reveal keyboard
new photos. thanks to Zumwelt Zumleben
Keyboard Articles Index
updated, 698 articles on keyboard and input devices
Apple MacBook Touch Bar
keyboard history. The ergo revolution due to Microsoft. One of rare instance where Apple's version failed.
Microsoft Natural Keyboard
“the best way to avoid injury is not to go pro!”
Bad Keyboard Advice from Programers
Filmmaker Taika Waititi slams Apple keyboards during post-Oscar interview. Funny. see Worst Apple Designs
Mac Keyboard Shortcuts
Keymouse stops making.
Wacom Drawing Tablets Spy on You
Alt Graph Key, Compose Key, Dead Key
Xah Lee's Best Ergonomic Keyboards
think i gonna remove UHK and Mistel Barocco. Can't consider keyboard sans physical arrow keys as best.
seems Mistel Barocco keyboard is discontinued? Mistel Barocco Split Keyboard
Apple Keyboard History ⌨
List of Keyboards with Topre Switch
Guide to Keyboard Key Switch Mechanisms
Varmilo EC (Electro Capacitance) Switch
new toy arrived
blank keys, tenting degree, and chord shortcut vs single key sequence
some of my pushy answer on xahlee discord.
ah here. Das Keyboard, the one that started blank keys idiocy Das Keyboard
Blank Keycaps = nerd idiocy. Blank Keycaps vs Labeled Keys
the proper understanding of degrees of tenting Scientific Research on Keyboard Ergonomics
regarding key sequences instead of chord, it cannot be done with keyboard firmware. it must be done in the app or os. and most of them can't do it. e.g. try to make a key sequence do Ctrl+c
Ban Key Chords
on linux, LXDE/Openbox can do it see Linux: LXDE/Openbox, Change Keyboard Shortcuts but otherwise difficult.but if you use Emacs, it's easy. Define Key Sequence Emacs: Define Key Sequence
added a video of ball spin
old. the birth of xah-fly-keys
todo Logitech G513 Keyboard
now go buy a
Sony Xperia 5 Unlocked Smartphone
Make economy great again. help Bezos richer to help your life more convenient.
this one is no buy. updated.
L-Trac is back. now sold by X-Key.
thinking of taking out my logitech marble for a spin
- Logitech TrackMan Marble FX Trackball
- Logitech Trackman Marble Wheel Optical Trackball
- Logitech Trackman Marble Review
- Marble Madness
Obsolete Mouses todo
Ergodash with knob
new photo, and thanks Matt B for donation.
more photos. One of our friend, Kathy, just bought this. Now, among xah talk show circles, we have 3 person who have keymouse.
adde a video.
grey version came out.
input devices and 3d printed improvement, by Lindy Design Lab
great video. She is a 3d modeler.
Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD High Performance Solid State Drive R/W 3200/2900MB/s (SB-RKTQ-2TB) Buy at amazon
OLOy Memory DDR4 RAM 32GB (1x32GB) 2666 MHz CL19 1.2V 260-Pin Laptop Gaming SODIMM Upgrade for 2019 iMac 27-inch with Retina 5K Display, Late 2018 Mac Mini (MD4S322619MZSC) Buy at amazon
todo. remove. no longer made. Havit RGB Mouse
todo. no longer made? CM MasterKeys PBT Keyboard
How to Change macOS Keybinding
people are still buying CODE Keyboard
Xah Keyboard Blog Archive
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.