Blank Keycaps vs Labeled Keys
Should you buy a keyboard with blank keycaps?
Blank keycaps forces you learn touch-type, because you can't hunt and peck, you have to put hands in touch-type position and use muscle memory to type.
Problem with blank keycaps is that it's hard to use the keyboard casually, because there's no distinguishing mark on the keys. You must put your hands in touch-type position.
Once you know how to touch-type, keyboard with no mark on keys is annoying.
If you do any design of layout, or change keybinding, key label helps a lot. What exactly is printed on them doesn't matter, but something, that can help distinguish one cell from a array of cells. (for example, design key layout or keybinding layout in emacs, that supports QWERTY, Dvorak, Colemak, etc.)
Advantage with Proper Key Labels:
- No need to put hands in a touch-type position to casually hit a few keys.
- Co-worker friendly. Your co-worker, friend, family, will be able to type on your keyboard if needs be.
Dvorak Key Stickers
You can also get Cherry MX switch stem compatible keycaps.
see Where to Buy Keycaps
- Alternative Layouts
- Alt Graph, Compose, Dead Key
- Most Efficient Layout?
- Maltron vs Dvorak
- Colemak vs Workman
- Dvorak Layout
- Hardware vs Software Dvorak
- Myth of QWERTY vs Dvorak
- Dvorak vs Colemak
- Blank Keycaps vs Labeled Keys
- List of Dvorak Keyboards
- Qwerty to Dvorak, A PhD thesis, 1978
Key Label Topic
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.