Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Review
Microsoft has a new keyboard, a Batman Keyboard. Amazing. This came out in 2013.
Total Key Count: 88 keys on the main board and 20 keys on the separate number pad.
Ergonomic Design Features
Here's interesting points:
- Keys split into 2 groups. Saves your wrists from bending.
- Large Alt and Ctrl keys. Great for Emacs.
- The Alt is positioned under the thumb (between x and c). So, simple thumb curl can easily press it.
- The left Alt and right Alt are symmetrically positioned. That is, their distance to f and j are the same. This means, the right side of modifier are also easily usable without moving your hand.
- Split space bar. This solves a major problem of the previous model the Microsoft Natural 4000, which got a stiff spacebar.
- Thin profile, with chicklet keys. This may not be good for prolonged typing.
- The number pad is now separate. Excellent. This makes the keyboard smaller, yet number pad is still available.
- Reverse tilt. Excellent. No more up-bent wrist.
It is wireless, via a USB transceiver.
- 2 AAA batteries in the keyboard.
- 2 AA batteries in the mouse.
- 1 3V 270mAh battery in number pad.
• no charger. You'll have to buy standard battery charger yourself. battery charger
• the battery door on keyboard and mouse use magnet for attachment.
This keyboard is using AES Encryption in wireless transmission. So, it should be protected from a well-known hack called KeySweeper. [see KeySweeper, Sniff Passwords from Wireless Keyboard]
• the detachable tilt bar is also using magnet. Snap on/off easily.
Overall, this is a major innovation.
Here's more photos.
the mouse isn't that good, if you are a finger-tip gripper. Note that finger-tip grip gives you most precise control of the mouse, with minimal energy. For me, finger-tip is least RSI, because you just nudge, push, contact the mouse for a few seconds. While with the palm grip, your whole palm is to cover the mouse, and your arm is used to move it.
the mouse has 2 extra buttons for thumb. That Windows logo is a button. Below it, is a invisible button for browser previous page.
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse 6000
For the mouse, you can buy it separately Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse 6000
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.