Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Review
Microsoft has a new keyboard, a Batman Keyboard. Amazing.
(max your window to see full size photo)
Ergonomic Design Features
Here's interesting points:
- Keys split into 2 groups. Saves your wrists from bending.
- Large Alt and Ctrl keys. Great for Emacs.
- The Alt is positioned under the thumb (between x and c). So, simple thumb curl can easily press it.
- The left Alt and right Alt are symmetrically positioned. That is, their distance to f and j are the same. This means, the right side of modifier are also easily usable without moving your hand.
- Split space bar. This solves a major problem of the previous model the Microsoft Natural 4000, which got a stiff spacebar.
- Thin profile, with chicklet keys. This may not be good for prolonged typing.
- The number pad is now separate. Excellent. This makes the keyboard smaller, yet number pad is still available.
- Reverse tilt. Excellent. No more up-bent wrist.
It is wireless, via a USB transceiver.
- 2 AAA batteries in the keyboard.
- 2 AA batteries in the mouse.
- 1 3V 270mAh battery in number pad.
• no charger. You'll have to buy standard battery charger yourself.
• the battery door on keyboard and mouse are both using magnet for attachment.
This keyboard is using AES Encryption in wireless transmission. So, it should be protected from a well-known hack called KeySweeper. [see KeySweeper, Sniff Passwords from Wireless Keyboard]
• the detachable tilt bar is also using magnet, not some hooks and fits.
Overall, this is a major innovation.
Here's more photos.
the mouse isn't that good, if you are a finger-tip gripper. Note that finger-tip grip gives you most precise control of the mouse, with minimal energy. For me, finger-tip is least RSI, because you just nudge, push, contact the mouse for a few second. While with the palm grip, your whole palm is to cover the mouse, and your arm is used to move it.
the mouse has 2 extra buttons for thumb. That Windows logo is a button. Below it, is a invisible button for browser previous page.
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse 6000
For the mouse, you can buy it separately Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse 6000
Put $5 tip at patreon
Ask me question on patreon