My current favorite mouse, the Logitech Gaming Mouse G700s. (a older model is G700, but basically the same.)
Why you need so many buttons? See: Why You Need 7 Buttons Mouse?.
I ♥ the spin wheel. It can spin for 28 seconds! See: Logitech Mouse with Spin Wheel.
What's the difference between Logitech G700 and G700s?
The G700s is a newer model of G700, but is basically the same.
I've been using the G700 for 3 years now. It's fantastic.
The top 3 buttons on the left (labeled G8 G9 G10), requires very strong pressure to press. This means, the 3 buttons becomes essentially not usable for things you need to do often (for example, such as switching app, previous/next tab.).
👎 The G10 button (top left, north foremost) is basically impossible to press. It requires so much pressure, similar to the power button on a PC.
👍 4 thumb buttons are fantastic. Very easy to press. Very easy to hit the right button. Won't hit the wrong button nor by accident.
👍 LOVE the free-spin wheel. I set the wheel to free-spin. This is especially useful in Linux, because in Linux, there's no scroll wheel acceleration.
• The mouse is heavy, even if you take out the battery. (personally, i prefer mouse to be as light as possible. Am a finger-tip grip user.)
• The bundled software is fantastic. It's very easy to use. (software is for Windows only) You use it to set the buttons to do what you want. Then, you can use the mouse on any computer without needing to config.
• The mouse works perfectly in Linux. But if you want customized button settings, you need to use the bundled Windows software to set the buttons first.
• At the bottom of the mouse, there's a on/off switch. You can turn it off to save battery life.
• The battery lasts for about 3 days, even if you set polling rate and power consumption to lowest. This means, you should plug-in every night, or, just use it plugged-in all the time like a wired mouse.
for a wireless gaming mouse that fixed the short battery problem, see: Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse.
here's my button settings for normal work (profile 1).
|top row||G7 next tab 【Ctrl+Tab ↹】||G6 previous tab 【Ctrl+⇧ Shift+Tab ↹】|
|bottom row||G5 close tab 【Ctrl+w】||G4 back page (default 4th button)|
G6 is most easy to press, followed by G7, G5, G4.
I rank them because i map the most frequently used commands to the most easy-to-press button/keys. 〔➤ Emacs's Command Frequency Statistics〕
for example, if you have 4 commands you want to map to the 4 buttons. Let's say there's a command X, which you use the least often, and don't want it accidentally clicked. So, you want to put X to the least ease-of-press button. (but X is still much needed, that's why you put on the thumb button.)
Mad Catz RAT 5 Gaming Mouse