What's the Difference Between Optical Mouse and Laser Mouse?
Both optical and laser mouse use light technology.
- Optical mouse uses LED, while laser uses laser.
- Optical is earlier tech, laser is more “advanced” tech.
- Optical mouse has a big red light at bottom. Laser ones are usually invisible.
Here's the difference:
- Laser can track on more surfaces, such as on glass or carpet.
- Laser mouse jitters when you lift the mouse, optical doesn't. (so, optical is better for gaming.)
Note: the difference may not be noticeable today. Both laser and optical sensors have advanced in the technology ＆ design.
Is Later Mouse Better for Gaming?
For gamers, laser mouse is worse. Here's a simple test you can do.
Lift your mouse slowly up, but try not to move the mouse.
- If you are using a laser mouse, you'll see that the pointer jitters.
- If you are using a optical LED mouse, the pointer does not move.
A even more spectacular test is just to pick up your mouse and stick your finger in the laser hole. For some laser mouse, you'll see the pointer jitters randomly.
When gaming, you often have to lift the mouse and re-position. Laser mouse's jittering is very bad.
blog comments powered by