Why Programable Keyboards Are Better Than Software Key Remap
Here's why using programable keyboard is better than using software (such as AutoHotkey, Karabiner, xmodmap) to remap keys:
- 100% Reliable. Does not rely on Operating System key remap software. Operating system remap doesn't work all the time.
- Program once, plug in to any machine running any Operating System, and all your remap and macro works. (example: bring to work, home, travel.)
- Driverless programable ones lets you program the key by just pressing keys, without starting a software.
Here's examples where Operating System remapped keys does not work, but programable keyboard key works:
- In Linux, most key remap such as xmodmap or xbindkeys won't work in Virtual Console or single user mode or boot screen.
- On Windows, AutoHotkey does not work when the app need privilege, such as when you run Registry Editor.
- On Windows, many games ignore Operating System level key remaps to prevent cheating.
- On Windows, you cannot remap some ❖ Window key combination such as ❖ Window+l
- On MacOS, it remaps your numpad keys, so it's very complex to program the number pad keys by software.
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.