Why Programable Keyboards Are Better Than Software Key Remap
Here's why using programable keyboard is better than using software (such as AutoHotkey, Karabiner, xmodmap) to remap keys:
Advantages of Programable Keyboard Firmware
- 100% Reliable. Your custom key or macro will work in any operating system, any machine.
- Program once, plug in to any machine running any Operating System, and all your remap and macro works. (example: bring to work, home, travel.)
- Driverless programable ones lets you program the key by just pressing keys, without starting a software.
Problems of Operating System Key Remap Software
- In Linux, most key remap such as xmodmap or xbindkeys won't work in Virtual Console or single user mode or boot screen.
- On Windows, AutoHotkey does not work when the app need privilege, such as when you run Registry Editor.
- On Windows, certain keys can't be remmaped, such as ❖ Window+L.
- On Windows, many games ignore Operating System level key remaps to prevent cheating.
- On MacOS, it remaps your numpad keys, so it's nearly impossible to make number pad keys do anyting else while not changing your number row keys.
- On MacOS, depending on the software, it's difficult remove some default keys, such as ⌘ command+c.