Emacs: Sync Copy/Paste Clipboards with Linux X11
In Linux, if copy/paste doesn't work with other apps, you can add this:
;; after copy Ctrl+c in Linux X11, you can paste by `yank' in emacs (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t) ;; after mouse selection in X11, you can paste by `yank' in emacs (setq x-select-enable-primary t)
In X11, there are 2 major copy/paste mechanisms:
- ① primary selection. When you select a text using mouse, the text is automatically put into the primary selection, and middle click will paste it.
- ② clipboard. X11's clipboard is similar to the clipboard in Mac or Windows. You copy/paste by menu or keyboard.
The primary selection and clipboard are independent.
- (info "(elisp) Window System Selections")
- X Selections, Cut Buffers, and Kill Rings ~ By Jamie Zawinski. At http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html
- [ X Window selection ] [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_selection ]
If you want to sync X11's “primary selection” and “clipboard” always, see: Linux: Sync X11 Primary Selection and Clipboard