Linux: Sync X11 Primary Selection and Clipboard
How to sync X11 primary selection and its clipboard?
in Linux's Windowing System (X11), there are 2 different copy/paste mechanism in popular use.
- Primary selection. (mouse to select, middle-click to paste)
- clipboard. (【Ctrl+c】 to copy, 【Ctrl+v】 to paste)
these two are independent. If you want to sync them always, so you can use both ways to copy/paste, then
sudo apt-get install parcellite
then, start it in command line by
then, in the menu bar, you'll see a icon. Right-click on it to go to Preference to setup sync.
note: if you do this, then you can't select something then paste over, because after you select, that will be the content of your clipboard. You'll need to paste first then delete the parts you don't want.
note: KDE has Klipper, Gnome has Glipper. Parcellite works in Xfce or any GTK apps.
(thanks to Dan Christensen)
- Most Useful GUI Apps
- Set Default App
- Shell Commands for GUI Apps
- Image Viewers
- Music Players
- Move File to Trash by Command
- X11 Selection and Clipboard
- How to Switch to LXDE, Xfce
- LXDE Keyboard Shortcuts
- LXDE/Openbox, Change Keyboard Shortcuts
- LXDE Set Key Repeat Rate
- LXDE/OpenBox, Disable Mouse Scroll Wheel Hide Window
- Xfce Keyboard Shortcuts
- Xfce Good Themes
- xmonad Keybinding
- How to Restart X11
- Why Tiling Window Manager Sucks
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.