Mechanical Keyboard Noise Comparison
Mechanical Keyboard Key Noise Comparison with Scientific Instrument
the conclusion is, all mechanical keyboard's noise is about the same, including Topre switch of Happy Hacking type-s keyboard. (the type-s is marketed as “silent”)
the only one that's slightly quieter is a cheap non-mechanical logitech keyboard.
Ranking of Key Switch Noise Levels
Start from most loud:
- • IBM buckling spring switch. Most loud. [see IBM Model M keyboard]
- • Cherry MX switch keyboards. Blue is loudest.
- • Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional type-s (s for silence)
- • Topre key switch. e.g. Happy Hacking Keyboard, Filco. [see List of Keyboards with Topre Switch]
- • Logitech romer-g switch. [see Logitech G810 Keyboard]
- • Rubber dom, cheap desktop keyboard. e.g. from Microsoft, Logitech, HP, etc.
- • Laptop keyboards. e.g. Apple Keyboards, ThinkPad keyboard.
[see Apple Keyboards ⌨]
Cherry MX Key Switch Sound Comparison
Here's a video that compare the noises they make.
Note: the sound appear louder in videos. Because, microphone usually filter out ambient noise, and now you only hear the keys. And, the wooden desk amplify the sound.
Note: the only one that intentionally makes a sound, is the MX Blue, which makes a click sound.
All the others, do not make any noise if you press the key very slowly. (if you have wooden floor in a apartment, but walk very slowly, it'll make less noise.)
Where Does the Key Noise Came From
The key noise came from:
- The key hitting bottom. (try hit a key hard and fast, and hear the sound hitting bottom. This sound is similar if you hit your finger on the desk fast. You get lots knocking sound.)
- Friction noise. The spring, stem, keycap, together makes noises.
- Key bouncing back. (try this: press down the key slowly all the way, then move finger side way off suddenly. The key pops back by spring, “hits top”, makes noise.)
Reduce Key Noise by Rubber Ring
One way to reduce noise is to buy those rubber ring switch dampeners. You put them in each key yourself.
Key Switch Topic
- Computer Keyboard Design Flaws
- Guide to Keyboard Key Switch Mechanisms
- Mechanical Keyboard Noise Comparison
- What's NKRO, N-key Rollover?
- Blank Keycaps vs Labeled Keys
- Keyboard Keycaps: ABS, PBT
- Keyboard Key Label Tech
- List of Keyboards with Topre Switch
- XMIT Hall Effect Switch Keyboard
- Kailh Switch Keyboards
- Mechanical Keyboard and Repetitive Strain Injury
- List of Dvorak Keyboards
- Programable Keyboards with Onboard Memory
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.