Keybinding Design: Muscle Memory vs Mnemonics
Key shortcut design: choice of keys base on finger position vs mnemonics of command start letter
Basically, muscle memory is more important than easy to remember during the learning process.
Advantage of finger position design
- Once you used a command daily for a month, it'll sink into muscle memory.
- Muscle memory is almost like instinct. You'll never forget for life.
- Any command, when you use frequently, it become muscle memory.
- Command you forgot where it is, are likely because you have not used it much.
Disadvantage of command start letter for easy-remember
- You quickly run into jams and force some batch of commands with randomish letter key, because lots command start with the same letter.
- The more you use a command with letter-based key choice, the less efficient it becomes, because letters on QWERTY keyboard is not arranged according to ease of press by finger strength.
Keybinding and Input-System
- Why Alt Tab is Inefficient
- How Many Shortcuts Are There
- Emacs vs vim, Keybinding Efficiency
- vim HJKL vs IJKL
- Gamers WASD Keys
- Design of vim Mode Activation Key
- History of Key Shortcuts: Emacs, vim, WASD, Etc
- History of vi Keys
- Muscle Memory vs Mnemonics
- Ctrl ❌
Ban Key Combos
- Ban Shift Key
- Function Key vs Key Chord
- Fast-repeat vs Non-fast-repeat Keys
- Modifier Keys Usage Frequency
Keyboard Shortcut vs Launch Buttons
- Best Way to Insert Parenthesis/Brackets
Math Input Design
Create Math/TeX/APL Layout
- Linux Mac Windows, Which is Best for Keybinding?
- Problem of Dual-Purpose Keys (home row mods)
- Xah Shorthand System