Comp Lang Perving
Syntax is the most important aspect of a programing language
The quality of a programing language, can be judged by how much of it can be explained by its syntax alone.
The following is critique of programing languages, with respect to formal language perspective.
For latest additions, subscribe: Xah Programing Blog.
- What Are Good Qualities of Computer Language Syntax?
- On Constructed Languages, Computer Languages, and Their Grammar Complexity
- Syntax, Formal Language, Pattern Matching
- Formal Definition of Systematic Grammar
- Composable Syntax
- Syntax Algebra
- OOP Dot Notation, Dot Before Data or After?
- Unix Pipe as Functional Language
- Method Chaining, Postfix Operator, and OOP
- Ontology of Postfix Notation, Method Chaining, and Unix Pipe
- What's the Definition of Operator in Computer Language?
- Python's Context Dependent Syntax Soup: 「… in …」 And 「… not in …」
- Context Dependent Syntax, Lisp setf, Python a[i]=x
- Java Array Syntax Soup: Syntactic Irregularity and Ad Hoc Logic
- Why List Comprehension Suck?
- What's Point-free Programing? (point-free function syntax)
- Problems of Symbol Congestion in Computer Languages; ASCII Jam vs Unicode
- Computer Language Design: String Syntax
- Programing Language Design: Syntax Sugar Problem: Irregularity vs Convenience
- What Does it Mean When a Programing Language Claims “Whitespace is Insignificant”?
- OCaml Syntax Sucks
- If Then Else Ternary Expression
- Hack of Bitmask as Boolean Parameters
- Programing Languages Sugar Syntax: Compiler Level vs User Level
- camelCase vs snake_case
- What's the Most Readable Computer Language Syntax?
- The Naming of List Things in Computer Languages
- Computer Language: Predicate Function, Terminology, and Naming Convention
- Programing Style: Variable Naming: English Words Considered Harmful
- Sigil for Function Parameter Names
- Math Notation, Programing Language Syntax, and Thought
- On Meta Syntax, Formal Language, and Logic
- OOP's Jargons and Complexities
- Meaning of Object in Computer Languages
- OOP Dot Notation, is Object Data or Namespace?
- Alan Kay on Object Oriented Programing
- Programing Language: Polymorphism, Dispatch, and the Tale of Poly-Tinting
- Programing: Why I Hate Exceptions
- Iterator, Enumerator, Abstraction Went Wrong
- Language Design: Should Array Index Start at 0 or 1?
- Programing Language: Syntactic and Semantic Difference of Map Function
- Should the Map Function Specify Order?
- Programing Language: Function Dependency
- Programing: “or” Considered Harmful
- Programing: Why I Hate C
- The Complexity of Java Access Specifiers
- Programing Craft: Intention vs Coolness
- Why Idioms Are Bad
- The Nature of Idioms in Programing Languages
- Perl: Difference Between List and Array
- Programing: Are int, float, long, double, Side-Effects of Computer Engineering?
- Learning Notes on Goto, Continuation, Coroutine
- Functional Programing Languages History Diagram
- What Language Does Google Facebook Twitter Paypal Wikipedia … Use?
- One Language to Rule Them All? Or, What Language to Use for Find Replace?
- On the Rectification of Programing Language Spec by Formal Language
- What's Ontology of Programing Language?
- Math vs Programing, What-is vs How-to
- A Class of Computer Languages: Math Languages
- Brainf*ck Language EOF Design Problem
- Programing Language: Steve Yegge on Dynamic Languages
- Functional Programing: is Real World Stateful?
- Wizard Book: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
- Homotopy Type Theory
- What do Microsoft, Apple, Mozilla, say about Dart?
- HTML6, JSON SXML Simplified
- What Made Lambda Calculus So Powerful?
- Why Does Struct Datatype Encroach Namespace?
- Shell, REPL, Notebook, and Emacs Environment Explained
- Edge Cases in Computing, and What Exactly is Whitespace?
- Empirical Analysis of Programming Language Adoption
- History of Programing Languages in 1 Sentence
- D3.js Visualization, a Quasi Science
- Concepts and Confusions of Prefix, Infix, Postfix and Lisp Notations
- Can Lisp Macro Change Lisp Syntax?
- Lisp Apostrophe Quote 'f Came From MacLisp
- Mathematica vs Lisp Syntax
- Nested Syntax Design: XML vs LISP
- Programing Language: Systematic Syntax: Lisp vs Mathematica
- Language Syntax: Brackets vs Begin/End vs Indentation for Nesting
- LISP Syntax Problem of Piping Functions
- Lisp vs Perl Syntax, the Cult Problem
- XML is not S-Expressions
- Is XML Stupid Brother of Lisp Sexp?
- LISP Infix Syntax Survey
- Fundamental Problems of Lisp
- Famous Programers on How Common Lisp Sucks
- Guy Steele Says: Don't Iterate, Recurse, and Get rid of cons!
- Paul Graham's Infatuation with the Concept of Hacker
- Programing Language Design: Why Lisp Macro Sucks
- Why Clojure is Dense
- Clojure's Popularity, a Tango with Java
- Programing: LISP is Not Functional!
- Emacs Lisp: read-from-minibuffer Propels Deep Questions
- LISP, What Does Symbolic Language Mean?
The following articles are not in the side panel. (due to historical directory structure reasons)
- Hack of Bitmask as Boolean Parameters
- What's Function, What's Operator?
- Logical Operators, Truth Table, Unicode
- The TeX Pestilence (Why TeX/LaTeX Sucks)
- The Problems of Traditional Math Notation
- A Notation for Plane Geometry
- What is Expressiveness in a computer language?
- What's Closure in Programing Languages?
- Unix/Linux Shell Shebang: Who Gets to Use the First Char?
Language Underneath Mumble Jumble
- Hardware Modeled Computer Languages
- Functional Programing: Function Output Should Always Have the Same Structure
- Programing Language Popularity 2017
- Proliferation of Computing Languages
- What Languages to Hate
- the Measure of a Language
- Laziness, Perl, and Larry Wall
- Larry Wall and Cults
- Programing Languages Popularity Trend
- Computer Language Websites Popularity
- What Determines a Computer Language's Popularity?
- Erik Naggum and Why There Isn't An Ocean of “Lisp Jobs”
- One Language to Rule Them All?
- From Why Not Ruby to F￼CK Python, Hello Ruby
- 3D Graphics Formats and Social Causes in Computer Languages
- The Harm of hard-wrapping Lines
- Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code
- Plain-Text Email Fetish
- Unix, RFC, Line Truncation
Jargons of Software Industry
- What is Your Favorite Lisp
- Language, Purity, Cult, and Deception
- Scheme Lisp and Failure
- Why Qi Lisp Fails and Clojure Succeeds
- Lisp Macros and Practical Common Lisp
- I Can Not Find A Word Better Than “CAR”
- Will Lisp Ever Be Popular?
- My First Encounter and Impression of Lisp
- Lispers and Wikipedia
- Modernization of Emacs Lisp
- Lisp's List Problem
- Why You should Not Use the Jargons lisp-1 lisp-2
- Is Lisp's Objects Concept Necessary?
Tech Doc Humor
regex and parsing
Misc, unsorted yet
- Avoiding Variables in Functional Programing
- Why is Namespace So Difficult?
- Why Learn Lisp When There Are Perl and Python
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.