This page is a review of Logitech's gaming mouse design, written primarily for programers.
Why you need so many buttons? See: Why You Need a 9 Buttons Mouse?.
For the spin wheel feature, see: Logitech Mouse with Spin Wheel.
Note that laser mouse may be inferior to optical mouse for gaming purposes. See: Laser Mouse is Inferior for Gaming?.
the G700s is a newer model of G700, but is basically the same. The only real difference is that G700s has max 8200 DPI, and G700 has 5700. 〔☛ What's Mouse DPI? Does Mouse DPI Matter in Gaming?〕 The G700s's surface coating is a bit different, and the scroll wheel is less clicky.
I've been using the G700 for a few months now. It's fantastic. Here's few notes:
• The top 3 buttons on the left (labeled G8 G9 G10 from bottom to top), requires very strong pressure to press. This means, the 3 buttons becomes essentially not usable for things you need to do often (for example, such as switching app, previous/next tab.).
• The G10 button (top left, north foremost) is basically impossible to press. It requires so much pressure, similar to the power button on a PC or laptop.
• The 4 thumb buttons are fantastic.
• LOVE ♥ the free-spin wheel. I set the wheel to free-spin. This is especially useful in Linux, because in Linux, there's no scroll wheel acceleration.
• The surface for the sides of the G700 has a sand-paper feel to it. (what gamers call none-slip coating.) I don't care for it, but it's ok.
• The mouse is heavy, even if you take out the battery. (personally, i prefer mouse to be as light as possible. Am a finger-tip grip user.)
• The bundled software is fantastic. It's very easy to use. (software is for Windows only) You use it to set the buttons to do what you want. Then, you can use the mouse on any computer without needing to config.
• The mouse works perfectly in Linux. But if you want customized button settings, you need to use the bundled Windows software to set the bottons first.
• At the bottom of the mouse, there's a on/off switch. You can turn it off when you go to bed to save battery life.
• The battery lasts for about 3 days, even if you set polling rate and power consumption to lowest. (I use the mouse about 14 hours a day, and i didn't switch the mouse off at night) This means, if you are using this mouse as standard mouse, it's a good idea to plug-in or turn off every night, or, just use it plugged-in all the time.
G9X is upgraded version of G9. The only difference between G9 and G9X is they have DPI of 3200 vs 5000. See: What's Mouse DPI? Does Mouse DPI Matter in Gaming?.
There's also “Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400” amazon that i didn't cover. It's rather ugly.