German Keyboard Layout
The German alphabet is the same as English, with the addition of the following:
The ß is called Eszett (sz) or scharfes S, sharp s.
Germany layout is a QWERTZ layout.
Those special letters ä ö ü ß, does not occur often. Their frequency ranks near the bottom.
You can see that, the German layout is not very efficient.
• It is based on the inefficient QWERTY layout.
• The special characters ä ö ü ß, each has a dedicated key. It's a waste of key spots. It would be better, if the key to the right of L is a dead key for DIAERESIS ¨
[see Apple Keyboards ⌨]
Ergonomic German Layouts
The de-ergo layout is optimized for Germany language. http://forschung.goebel-consult.de/de-ergo/
The NEO layout is efficient layout for German.
Neo layout improved on de-ergo layout.
Neo layout started June 2005 or before. Original site at http://pebbles.schattenlauf.de/layout/index_us.html
Neo layout home page at http://www.neo-layout.org/
Neo layout has a community site and seems to have a cult following.
the ADNW (Aus der Neo-Welt) seems a improvement on Neo. Home page at: http://www.adnw.de/
- Alternative Keyboard Layouts
- Dvorak Keyboard Layout
- Alt Graph Key, Compose Key, Dead Key
- International Keyboard Layouts
- Idiocy of Keyboard Layouts: QWERTZ, AZERTY
- German Keyboard Layout
- French Keyboard Layout
- French Letter Frequency
- Russian Keyboard Layout
- Chinese Input Methods
- Japanese Keyboard Layouts
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.