Kinesis 360 is the next generation of the Kinesis Advantage2 Keyboard . Kinesis 360 is announced in 2021 and shipping began in 2022-09.
There are two versions:
- Kinesis 360 (USB wired. With SmartSet firmware.)
- Kinesis 360 pro (Bluetooth. With ZMK firmware.)
They are physically the same, but are completely different in their software setup and key-remap features.
The version reviewed here is the 360 USB.
Xah Talk Show 2023-05-09 Kinesis Advantage 360 Unboxing
2023-05-10 in-depth review coming.
- Total of 76 keys
- keyboard weight: 1.45 kg (3.2 pounds).
Comes with two cables.
- The main cable, is USB-A to USB-C. Braided cable.
- The link cable, linking two keyboard modules, is USB-C to USB-C. Braided cable.
Each module has 2 USB-C ports at the back.
The linking cable connects to the two ports in middle. The main cable connects to the right module.
The keyboard can be tented in 3 levels.
Metal prop stand at the back, has 3 levels of rachet-like mechanism. press the button at the bottom to release the lock, then you can raise the metal stand 2 more levels higher, in total of 3 height adjustments.
Curved Concave Surface
The keys forms a concave bowl-shaped surface, so that your fingers dip in on it.
The keyboard comes with “brown” Gateron Switches
Optionally, you can choose your keyswitch, by shopping for the “Advantage360 Signature Series” on their website. essentially it's built-to-order.
They also sell key switch tester. I recommend getting key switch tester, and I recommend light linear switches.
- Keycaps are PBT plastic. (PBT is good) [see Keycap Material: ABS, PBT, PVC, POM]
- key labels are done by dye sublimation. (excellent) [see Key Label Printing Tech]
Included extra keycaps.
included is a plastic snap-on bar that holds the two modules together for a fixed configuration.
Magnetic, Detachable Palm Rest
LED Light Indicators
there are 6 Indicator LEDs lights.
Left-hand-side, Profile LED Color code:
- Profile 0 on: light off.
- Profile 1 on: White
- Profile 2 on: Bright Blue
- Profile 3 on: Green
- Profile 4 on: Red
- Profile 5 on: Blue
- Profile 6 on: Yellow
- Profile 7 on: Orange
- Profile 8 on: Green-Blue
- Profile 9 on: Pink
Right-hand-side, Layer LED Color code:
- base layer on: no light
- kp layer on: White
- fn layer on: Blue
On-The-Fly Key Remap and Macro (Driverless Programable Keys)
SmartSet App is a software with graphical user interface to program the keys. Available for Microsoft Windows and Mac. You download it from their website.
The user interface is a bit clunky, but intuitive.
The programability is fairly extensive.
- You can program 9 profiles.
- Each profile can have 3 or more layers.
- you can also program the color of the LED.
Print Keyboard Status (and Print Firmware Version)
- Open a text editor. (on Microsoft Windows, press win key and type notepad)
- switch to the profile 0, by pressing SmartSet + 0
- then, press SmartSet + Right Shift + Right Ctrl + ?
Updating SmartSet Engine Firmware
To update the firmware, perform the following steps:
- 1. Download the desired version of Advantage360 SmartSet firmware (".upd" file) .
- 2. Open the keyboard's v-Drive with the shortcut SmartSet + "v-Drive" (Indicator LEDs will flash blue while the drive is open).
- 3. Navigate to the "ADV360" removable drive on your PC and copy the firmware file to the "firmware" subfolder of the v-Drive.
- 4. Eject the "ADV360" drive from your PC as you would any flash drive, and then close the v-Drive with the shortcut SmartSet + "v-Drive" (Indicator LEDs will flash green four times).
- 5. Install firmware with the shortcut SmartSet + Right Ctrl + U (Indicator LEDs will flash green four times, then cycle blue on both modules while the installation is in progress). Note: Installation will take a full 45 seconds so do not unplug the keyboard or type on it during this time).
- 6. To confirm the update was successful, simply run a Status Report (SmartSet + Right Shift + Right Ctrl + ? ) and compare version numbers
Note: If you have performed more than one update, you will need to delete earlier firmware files from the v-Drive (or rename them). The firmware installation command will install the first .upd file with update in the name, so if multiple such files reside in the firmware subfolder you may not install the desired file.
Thumb for Modifier Keys
Mac, Linux Support, Yes
How long does it take to get used to?
Vim/Emacs Keymap Recommendations
Key Remap/Macro tutorial
great article written by kinesis, covering their history, and the upcoming keyboard kinesis 360 https://kinesis-ergo.com/zmk-and-kinesis/
Where to Buy
Buy at amazon