The Space-cadet keyboard is made around 1982.
[see Lisp Machine Keyboards]
2 companies made this keyboard.
- 1981. Symbolics's lisp machine LM-2, commercial version of CADR machine. About 100 are made.
- 1981. LMI's lisp machine LMI-CADR, commercial version of CADR machine. (LMI is Lisp Machines Inc).
LMI Lambda keyboard
The Space-cadet keyboard is also made by Lisp Machine Inc, for their LMI-CADR machine, year 1983.
Note the LMI logo. It's lisp cons cell, which is the building block of lisp's list.
Meta Hyper Super Modifiers
The modifiers are:
- Shift → For UPPERCASE letters
- greek/front → insert Greek character, printed in front of the keycaps.
- top → insert APL characters, printed on upper top of the keycaps.
- Meta → modifier, used heavily in emacs.
- Hyper → extra modifier, can be used in emacs.
- Super → extra modifier, can be used in emacs.
The extra modifiers allows more key combination possibilities.
However, extra modifiers create much less possibilities than key sequences.
Thumb Up Key
[see Hand Emoji 👍]
For the key layout, see: Lisp Machine Keyboard Layout
For lots more photos of the space cadet keyboard, see: Jesse Vincent's photo album https://secure.flickr.com/photos/obra/sets/72157635353286814/
2016-06-17 Thanks to Jon Snader http://irreal.org/ for tip.
Lisp Machine Keyboards
Hacker Lore Keyboards
- History of Emacs and vi Keys
- Space-Cadet Keyboard
- How to Create APL or Math Symbols Keyboard Layout
- Univac F-1355-00 Keyboard
- Ann Arbor Ambassador 60 Terminal
- ADM-3A Terminal
- DEC VT100 Terminal
- IBM Model M keyboard
- Sun Microsystems Type 6 Keyboard
- Control Key and Capslock Key Positions in Old Keyboards
- The Idiocy of Happy Hacking Keyboard
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.