Xah Keyboard Blog 2017-05
Contour Roller Mouse (updated)
Ergonomic Mouse (updated)
Smith Premier Typewriter
Apple Adjustable Keyboard 1993
Evolution of Laptop Keyboard (complete rewrite.)
IBM Model M keyboard
Microsoft Natural Keyboard (Major update. New photos.)
Programable Keypad (new one, 8 keys)
AutoHotkey Tutorial (minor update)
Where to Buy Keycaps (new page)
Why Function Keys Are Useful (major update)
Myth of QWERTY vs Dvorak Layout (major extension, with pictures and book reference.)
Caligraph №3 Typewriter
my article hit hackernews. yay. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14367207
the article is History of Emacs and vi Keys
thanks to whoever submitted.
Typewriter Spacebar History
Character Frequency Plot (updated. the origin of “E T A O I N”)
Logitech Wave Keyboard (minor update. new photos.)
Tiny Spacebar (minor update)
Optimus Popularis Keyboard. The Optimus keyboard, seems unreliable as mass product. They are way expensive and not on market for long.
LCD screens keypad
just discovered this on amazon.
each key is a LCD screen. And not very expensive!
ergodox QMK firmware vs keyboard.io Kaleidoscope
For those ergodox fans, this is informative:
algernone wrote on 2017-05-16
There are a few things QMK is better at: stability, community knowledge, available keymaps. On the other hand, Kaleidoscope brings a few things too, which QMK does not have:
• Instead of a monolithic codebase, Kaleidoscope is a very small core, with lots of plugins. This is easier to extend, and easier to puzzle the pieces YOU need together.
• Some of the features shared by both are more flexible in Kaleidoscope:
- One-shots can be chained, so you can do Alt, Ctrl, X, instead of Alt+Ctrl+X.
- Tap-dance is a lot easier to work with.
- You can have more than one Leader key.
- Macros can have parts that work while the keyboard is idle.
- MouseKeys are easier to tweak (including at runtime).
• There are features that QMK does not have:
- Bi-directional communication with the host, which allows all kinds of reconfiguration, without compiling or flashing new firmware.
- Magic combos.
- A lot of LED effects.
A lot of stuff is doable with QMK, but the Kaleidoscope architecture is a lot easier to work with. And the bi-directional communication is something that QMK lacks, and is the biggest deal.
There are some other niceties, like being able to emulate an absolute mouse, meaning you can position the mouse to specific parts of the screen, no matter where the cursor has been before. Combined with the usual mouse keys, this is a very powerful way to control the rodent.
keyboard.io Model 01 latest update with photo
much delayed, but always solid progress.
one really nice thing happening is that they created a open source firmware Kaleidoscope https://github.com/keyboardio/Kaleidoscope and the GUI Chryslis https://github.com/algernon/Chrysalis
that's beyond any current firmware's capabilities in any gaming/programable keyboard/keypad, as far as i know.
reddit discussion reddit
How to Program Kinesis Keyboard
updated. You can set a thumb key to toggle the number pad. Or, hold it as shift for number pad.
Apple Bandai Pippin Controller
Russian Keyboard Layout (new photo)
Mistel Barocco Split Keyboard (new photos)
German Keyboard Layout
Kinesis Keyboard Gallery (new photo)
Russian Keyboard Layout
Dactyl keyboard (new glorious photo added)
French Letter Frequency
Character Frequency Plot