Xah Keyboard Blog 2017-05
Contour Roller Mouse (updated)
Ergonomic / Vertical Mouse (updated)
Evolution of Laptop Keyboards, No More Page Up/Down Keys! (complete rewrite.)
Best Numeric Keypads (updated, and added a new backlit one)
Microsoft Natural Keyboard (Major update. New photos.)
Programable Keypads (new one, 8 keys)
AutoHotkey Tutorial (minor update)
Where to Buy Keycaps (new page)
Why Function Keys F1 F2 Are Useful (major update)
Myth of QWERTY vs Dvorak Layout (major extension, with pictures and book reference.)
my article hit hackernews. yay. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14367207
the article is History of Emacs and vi Keys
thanks to whoever submitted.
X No Chord Keyboard (minor update)
Character Frequency Counter (updated. the origin of “E T A O I N”)
Logitech Wave Keyboard (minor update. new photos.)
Tiny Space Bar on Japanese Keyboards (minor update)
finger length: index vs ring
note: check your right hand too.
just noticed today, my left hand, the ring finger is longer, but same on my right hand.
Optimus Popularis Keyboard. The Optimus keyboard, seems unreliable as mass product. They are way expensive and not on market for long.
LCD screens keypad
just discovered this on amazon.
each key is a LCD screen. And not very expensive!
ergodox QMK firmware vs keyboard.io Kaleidoscope
For those ergodox fans, this is informative:
algernone wrote on 2017-05-16
There are a few things QMK is better at: stability, community knowledge, available keymaps. On the other hand, Kaleidoscope brings a few things too, which QMK does not have:
• Instead of a monolithic codebase, Kaleidoscope is a very small core, with lots of plugins. This is easier to extend, and easier to puzzle the pieces YOU need together.
• Some of the features shared by both are more flexible in Kaleidoscope:
- One-shots can be chained, so you can do Alt, Ctrl, X, instead of Alt+Ctrl+X.
- Tap-dance is a lot easier to work with.
- You can have more than one Leader key.
- Macros can have parts that work while the keyboard is idle.
- MouseKeys are easier to tweak (including at runtime).
• There are features that QMK does not have:
- Bi-directional communication with the host, which allows all kinds of reconfiguration, without compiling or flashing new firmware.
- Magic combos.
- A lot of LED effects.
A lot of stuff is doable with QMK, but the Kaleidoscope architecture is a lot easier to work with. And the bi-directional communication is something that QMK lacks, and is the biggest deal.
There are some other niceties, like being able to emulate an absolute mouse, meaning you can position the mouse to specific parts of the screen, no matter where the cursor has been before. Combined with the usual mouse keys, this is a very powerful way to control the rodent.
keyboard.io Model 01 latest update with photo
much delayed, but always solid progress.
that's beyond any current firmware's capabilities in any gaming/programable keyboard/keypad, as far as i know.
Keyboard Articles Index (439 articles)
King's Assembly mouse keyboard, fraud
updated. You can set a thumb key to toggle the number pad. Or, hold it as shift for number pad.
[see NeXT Keyboard]
Russian Keyboard Layout (new photo)
Mistel Barocco Split Keyboard (new photos)
Kinesis Keyboard Gallery (new photo)
Dactyl keyboard (new glorious photo added)
Patreon me $5. Ask me question on patreon