Emacs: Split Windows
Emacs Split Window Commands:
- Split window into top bottom.
- Split window into left right.
- Unsplit all.
- Remove current pane.
- Move cursor to next pane.
Note, emacs terminology of window/frame is reversed from modern meaning.
- emacs jargon “window” means frame or pane.
- emacs jargon “frame” means window.
Adjust Split Pane Size
- Mouse drag the horizontal bar (the mode line, aka status bar) to adjust the split pane size.
- To adjust left/right split panes, drag on the spot at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar.
Or, you can use keys. Here's the commands:
- Increase height.
- Decrease height.
- Increase width.
- Decrease width.
- Shrink a window to fit its content.
- Make all panes same width/height.
Most of these commands also take a argument.
universal-argument 【Ctrl+u】 first then type a number, then, call the command that adjust window size.