Xah Programing Blog
Syntactic obsession, imperative despisal, unicode ♥, hacker hate
Microsoft ditched sha1. What's the git's situation?
confused by sha-1, cryptography hash function? see Public-Key Cryptography for Beginner
Xah Talk Show. 2019-02-22. Programing Languages, Lisp, Homoiconicity, Haskell, Syntax, Semantics, Formal Language
itching to do a video stream. gosh i really need to get vid going daily. like this if you like to see more. So many topics i can talk non stop. emacs, programing, hacker cult, to other thing such as chinese, linguistics, philosophy...
and always be yourself, because, being yourself, gives you the most power, most performance.
articles at On Lisp
subscribe and click the alert to get my latest video or stream on YouTube. I may not post them here.
todo Python 3 Tutorial
old blog posts
- Apple Censorship
- Clojure Books
- The State of Affairs of DVD Rippers
- Death of Steve Jobs vs Dennis Ritchie, John McCarthy
- The Day Steve Jobs Died, Apple, Google Website Screenshots
- Erik Meijer on Xtreme Programing and Agile
- Software Freedom is Free Speech or Free Beer?
- F Sharp, OCaml Books and History of OCaml
- Google Tech Talk: 〈Lisp at JPL〉 by Ron Garret 📺
- Luhn Algorithm
- Mathematica Version 3 to Version 7 Conversion Notes
- Neal Stephenson at Google Talk 📺
- MacOS Extended Attribute, At sign @ in ls
- Paul Graham Keynote at PyCon 📺
- Richard Stallman on Steve Jobs's Death
- Ryan Dahl, on History of Node.js 📺
- Node.js Creator Ryan Dahl on Software Complexity
- Second Life, the Worst Hack in Universe
- Sergey Brin Talk on China, Wikipedia, Search Engines, … 📺
- Theodore Gray: Future of Text Book, iPad, Education 📺
- TypeScript Will Kill CoffeeScript and Dart!
- World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics?
- OCaml Use in Industry: Janestreet Talk by Yaron Minsky 📺
- Adaptive Sampling, Plotting Math Curve
- AN OPEN LETTER TO HOBBYISTS, by Bill Gates
- Best Video Codec for Screencast or Line Animation
- BlackBerry PlayBook: Force Reset, Security Wipe, Connect to Linux Via USB
- Clojure Leiningen Banana
- ASCII Jam Problem: HTML Entities
- Complexity and Tedium of Software Engineering
- How to Convert HTML to PDF
- ctags etags gtags: How to Find Where a Function is Defined or Called?
- Unix tools on Windows: Cygwin vs VirtualBox
- Database Tech 2012
- Dell i7559 Linux Boot Problem
- 3D Visualization Design
- Programing: Design Patterns Your Mom
- eXtreme Programing and Agile Voodoo
- Emacs + Cygwin, gunzip not found?
- Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Confusion Ball
- Programing: the Expression Problem
- Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg Speak Chinese 📺
- Font Articles Index
- FSF Spread FUD on Microsoft
- Ruby Creator Cooks Python; Matz and GitCafe
- How Does a Unicode Character Get Mapped to a Glyph in a Font?
- How Much You'll Get for Writing a Programing Book?
- In-place Algorithm for Reversing a List in Perl, Python, Lisp, Mathematica
- The Strengths of the Academic Enterprise
- Invisible Character from Twitter
- Is Math Important for Programers?
- What's Philosophy and Paul Graham: Qi Lisp Creator Mark Tarver on Is Philosophy Useful?
- is programing math?
- LAND OF LISP (Book and Comics)
- Laptops 2012 Comparison: ASUS Zenbook Prime vs Apple MacBook Pro
- Computer Hacking: Lulz Security Farewell Note
- The Landscape of Instant Messaging and the Mac 2006
- Unix/Linux Dot File Problems: .svn .htaccess .DS_Store …
- Mouse Speed Too Slow in Mac OS X?
- Model-View-Controller Observer Observable — A[n] Incoherence Rambling
- Moto G5 Plus
- Internet History, Netscape, Dot Com, Code Rush 📺
- The NoSQL Movement
- NSA Mass Surveillance
- The Sad Story of OAuth 2.0 and Open Standards, IETF
- The Pain of Ampersand in HTML
- Parallel Programing Problem: asciify-string
- Encryption: What's Perfect Forward Secrecy?
- Perl One-Liner Screw
- PHP + MySQL Documentation Redux, 2012
- Picasa Pains: Using Picasa Web as Backup; Sync All Folders
- Programer Jokes
- Programer Salary
- Programer Simple Living Shanty Town Squatter
- Programers Refuse to Change 📺
- Programing: Decimalize Latitude Longitude
- Programing Language Popularity 2017
- Xah Computer Programing Quotes
- Python Tech 2012: django, CherryPy, unittest, nose, celery, decorator
- Python Libs for Scientists
- Xah Regular Expression Articles Index
- Programing Challenge: Replace String Pairs
- Ruby Rails Mongrel, Zed Shaw: Rails Is A Ghetto
- Ruby RVM Complexity
- Safari “.webloc” File is Using Mac Resource Fork
- Screenshot Tracking Watermark
- Sessions, and Token Based Auth
- Skype Chat Encryption and Screen Sharing
- Software Dependency Complexity: Fink, Unison
- web tech 2012: blackbox/whitebox testing, Jenkins, Puppet, Selenium
- Software Skin Cancer
- How Fast is Running Perl in Cygwin or Using NTFS on Linux? (The Price You Pay for Layers and Emulations)
- A Syntax Highlighting Language?
- quick random jot-downs, on TCP/IP, on Tech Writing
- What's the Difference Between Hacker and Tech Geeker?
- X No Chord Keyboard
- Unicode RIGHTWARDS BLACK ARROW and BLACK RIGHTWARDS ARROW Problem ⬅ ➡ ⮕
- Unicode BOM Byte Order Mark Hack
- Syntax Design: Use of Unicode Matching Brackets as Specialized Delimiters
- Semantic of Symbol: Unicode Ellipsis Symbol vs Dot Dot Dot
- Unicode for Programers, Index
- Unicode Semantics: the ∀ in Turn A Gundam
- Symbol, Semantics, Design: Unicode for “e.g.” (exempli gratia)
- Semantics and Symbols: Examples of Unicode Symbols Usage
- Unicode: Unix/Linux Hacker Propaganda on UTF-8 Encoding
- UNIX Tar Problem: File Length Truncation, Unicode Name Support
- Linux Shell Util uniq Unicode Bug
- Lisp, Python, Perl, Ruby Code to Validate Matching Brackets
- Ubuntu Linux: vim Location and Versions
- What's Apache Ant, Apache Maven, What's the Difference?
- What's Docker?
- Why is Array Access Constant Time
- Why PDF Sucks
- It's Not You, It's Them: Why Programming Languages Are Hard To Teach 📺
- Xah Language Design
- Xah Linux
Python 3 Adoption added more articles.
fuck python. fuck easy_install pip mess. fuck python2 python3. fuck passive aggressive semi-formal i-know-comp-sci Guido. Fuck python comp sci Я us inflexible priests tower community fuck.
Here's collection rants i've written. They go way back to 2006. Python Language Problems
djsumdog @firstname.lastname@example.org 2019-02-18 wrote:
@xahlee Never use
sudo easy_install. I don't know why it's in all the manuals. Always use:
pip install --user← that USER is super important. You should never let pip or cargo or any other language manager ever touch your system packages. gem also has a
gem install --userwhich you should use to. You can always wipe/reset your home directory. The system is much more difficult.
this is a new python distro, suggested to me https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/
old stuff. temp here.
- The X-Windows Disaster
- “Buffer Overflow” Security Problems
- On Unix File System's Case Sensitivity
- Why LD_LIBRARY_PATH is bad
- UNIX Philosophy, Fast Food the UNIX way
- A Example of Expressiveness in Computer Language
- rsync Symptom
- “Free” Software Morality, Richard Stallman, Paperwork Bureaucracy
- Mathematica 7 Released
- Richard Stallman's Abuse of the Word “Freedom”
- Death of Newsgroups
- comp.lang.lisp is 95% Spam
- Programer Celebrities; Styles and Tack
- Computer Languages
- The Unix Pestilence
- Free Software, Communism, Ideologies, Policies
- Purpose of Logo and Principle of Logo Design
- Mac OS X Misc Command Line Tips
- Mac OS X “.dmg” File and Command Line Tutorial
- Programing: GNU Make (gmake) Tutorial
- Voodoo of Software Engineering
- Something about Unicode
- Python Snake Becometh Dragon in China 蛇变龙!
- rsync Windows to unix File Permissions
Linux: Download Website: wget, curl (updated)
Lisp Needs a Logo (old article. checked links.)
full featured find/replace code in python.
and much other update on unicode pages. Removed screenshot from each page, because that doesn't seem to be what people want.
Linux: Compare Files or Directory: diff (minor update)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
if you like my work, do:
Unicode Hand Gestures 👍 added screenshots
HTTP Protocol Tutorial (updated)
URL Percent Encoding and Unicode (major update.)
new nav box.
Python: GET Webpage Content (minor update)
Computer Network Tutorial (new nav box)
Python Doc Idiocies (new nav box)
new nav box.
File Sharing How To
new nav box. some are still pending review.
Pretty Girl on AlphaZero Chess
watch this girl Anna Rudolf, explains chess of AlphaZero. There exist such amazing and beautiful people in this world.
2019-01-31 todo. put del_dup.pl to Learn Perl in 1 Hour also, rewrite it in golang.
2019-01-31 todo JS: Reflect.construct
2019-01-31 todo JS: Reflect.set
2019-01-31 todo JS: Symbol Object
2019-01-31 todo. emacs. work on xah_site_move.el merge it to xah html mode.
2019-01-31 todo. emacs video of
xah-html-lines-to-list live coding.
xah-quote-lines fix, add a comma at the end. do video
2019-01-16 todo. work in progress Emacs Lisp Script Examples
2019-01-16 todo. work in progress Elisp: Twitterfy code rewritten. still experimenting.
2019-01-16 todo create or add
(require 'uniquify) to emacs init page.
2019-01-16 todo remove and link it from
Xah Emacs Blog Archive 2011-07
2018-12-26 todo put my YouTube vids on site https://www.youtube.com/user/polyglut/videos
2018-12-26 need to look at the modeline for spacemacs https://www.reddit.com/r/xahflykeys/comments/a7qczh/xah_fly_keys_ses_and_input_method_problems/
updated on diamonds.
you can see part 1 in the link on YouTube.
on Surface Book, golang, haskell, beautiful languages, racket scheme lisp, clojure, java, enterprise coding, writing tutorial, cutthroat tutorial industry, money, and emacs!
Webcams reverse left/right when self viewing
I just discovered. Webcams reverse left/right. Truly annoying when u r doing vids on objects, like keyboard. Apparently, they do that cuz people r used to see themselfs in mirrors. But this reversal stops when video is transmitted.
what an idiot i am. there are options to flip them in both QuickTime and PhotoBooth.
software lost preference settings
utterly annoying. Now, in Microsoft Windows 10, Snip＆Sketch app, the default name is “SharedScreen.jpg” instead of “Annotations daterandom number”, if you launch it from the Windows Ink Workspace.
This means, every time you save, you have to type a new name. This is a major pain when you are using Surface Pro as tablet, walking around and reading it (as i often use it that way), with no keyboard attached.
This started to happen today (2019-01-15), not sure it's a bug or what.
It used to be, software has preference/opts menu with elaborate settings. But since the phone era and win10, now it's just a few buttons. Nowhere to see settings for default name, often not even about and version number.
Donald Knuth, the prototype of inept and ineffectual nerd
video lectures by Donald Knuth. from i think 70s. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL94E35692EB9D36F3
never liked Knuth. In my 20s, 30s, like every coder, i admired Knuth. His books i've read, TeX series, meta font, literate programing, Art of Programing, Selected essays. Never liked any of them. He's the prototype of nerd. Turns out, he can't public speak well neither.
Knuth has also written about technical writing i read in 90s. i don't remember the title, but might be this one Buy at amazon it's, no good.
here's Knuth technical writing book online http://tex.loria.fr/typographie/mathwriting.pdf not sure it's a legal copy.
for great tech writing, it's not about correct grammar or clear sentence. Rather, it's about how deep you understand the subject. for writing great poetry, it's not about correct grammar or fancy sentence. it's about a vision, and how deep you know English.
text, pic, video, info density, and the quasi-science of info science
That's the thing. you trying to convince me using org+hugo, i no see any point. I try to show u the superiority of emacs+elisp+raw html, u no see the advantage. ∴ video chat + screen demo. that way, something gets across. They say, a pic is worth 1k words. A vid, is worth 1M words.
“They say，a pic is worth 1k words。A vid，is worth 1M words”. and actually, when you look their file sizes, it does indicate the info density. #Information #Science!
the so-called info science Information science often times, are actually quasi-science. it's often just programers and management selling their stuff.
What Languages to Hate
when i see the word #haskell, i can't despise it fast enough. it's no haskell i hate, but the pop currency, 'was java oop perl lisp python ruby rails. and u, current haskeller, r the skum of a bubble tea.
year 2002 What Languages to Hate
O, in the lore of coding, we've had fad of unix phil, oop, defensive programing, laziness of perl, slack input generously strict output xml mantra, eXtreme Programing, Patterns, sep of concerns, lisp homoiconicity, KISS, DRY, … fkthymom is proper.
See also: Software Engineering Voodoo
and following are all updated.
template systems Jeykell vs Hugo
Jeykell is written in #ruby, from 2008. Hugo is written in #golang, from year ? apparently recent. The obvious choice is hugo.
i write 5 thousand html pages raw manually, in #emacs xah-fly-keys and xah-html-mode. The number of keystrokes to create a html page, is less than markdown, org-mode, keykell, hugo, or whatnot template systems.
the price you pay, is that you have to know html, css, emacs lisp, well. What you get is far more power, efficiency, flexibility and control.
one extremely annoying thing about @DuckDuckGo is that, if you have js off, u search something, then you want images, u turn on js, there's no way to navigate to it. u have to start a new tab, start js, goto duck, then img search. but in @brave, u can't start js untill a site is loaded
both google search and bing search don't have this problem.
xah talk show: which programing language to learn? python or ruby or haskell?
Xah's Programing Language Tutorials Programing Language Tutorials Index
#linux can anyone give me basic instruction for cutting out 2 seconds of video? Am using @shotcutapp. First time editing video. Cutting out few frames (about 2 seconds) is all i need. Thanks
video needs to cut: 12:11.64 to 12.13.14. and aronud 11:37
Open the clip in the Source tab of the player. Use the selection controls to select the first part you want to keep. Add it to the Playlist (+ or drag-n-drop). Select the second part you want to keep. Add that to the Playlist. Click Export → Export File.
maybe here is a tutorial on how to cut frames https://make.wordpress.org/tv/handbook/video-editing/video-editor/#trimming-the-video
todo. it seems, other great free video editor includes Avidemux, OBS Studio.
Kdenlive is pretty good but for simple stuff ffmpeg/avconv can do. Works well for more low level stuff like cutting a small piece from a video
ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -ss 00:00:00 -t 00:00:10 -async 1 trimmed_video.mp4
apple prevent repair
the Apple skum, creating things so that can't be repaired. on the other hand, note, how battery takes some 70% of the space. https://twitter.com/iFixit/status/1084540649469345793
added new grouped nav boxes
lol. though, technically, you only need to update a page when the page's content has been reworked or added. And, if not, it's actually legally questionable to claim a copyright of current year.
xah programing language tutorial is great
for the win
good video recording software: OBS
this seems to be a good video recording software, suggested to me by GrinDeg https://obsproject.com/
ok, here's my plan for 2019.
- 1 hour study differential geometry and complex analysis. #math
- 1 hour study proof theory
- 1 hour coding golang.
- 1 hour parser/compiler.
#math the study of differential geometry and complex analysis will be at http://virtualmathmuseum.org/index.html and also forming a book draft of the topic on my Math Blog Xah Math Blog or some new page.
the study of proof theory, is quite a lot areas. Various branches of logic, godel's stuff, computer algebra system, formal languages, coq, and possibly eventuall Homotopy Type Theory Homotopy Type Theory They'll be logged daily at my Programing Blog Xah Programing Blog
golang progress will be seen as i add to my golang tutorial. learn Golang in 1 day Golang Tutorial
the parser/compiler study will be seen as i improve/complete my parser/compiler tutorial at Formal Language, Grammar, Parser Formal Language, Grammar, Parser
Maintaining 5k Articles, and Snippets of Learning Notes
busied myself with my websites the whole day. Maintaining 5k articles is really perpetual work. also, been reading lots math since 2 months ago. good. though, haven't been really programing or reading about coding in past 2 months.
my sites are
so, let's say plans for 2019.
- be able to writer a compiler. (in #golang)
- have good understanding of proof theory
- have good understanding of differential geometry and complex analysis
everytime i read math, typically for each 2 hours of reading, i often want to write a snippet of it of what i learned, in a easy to understand way and share here. though, it's actually difficult to do. Writing a few sentences may that takes 30 min or so.
example of such writing are, the 3 posts about pseudo random number last month https://twitter.com/xah_lee/status/1077418291860127744 to just write that few sentences, took some 4 hours of reading. and 9 out of 10 others times i wasn't able to write.
here's another example of math snippet last month https://twitter.com/xah_lee/status/1077667798506135552 i was reviewing my probability and statistics. To write math snippet on twitter, you have to have a overall picture of a subject first. then, craft to capture a snippet of theory or something interesting.
the math on Wikipedia is 1 big blackhole。it has improved＆improved continuously since 2003。even back in 2010 it's good。but now more＆better。not just math，but physics，engineering，etc all tech subjects，as well as history，literature，etc。Minus whatever current political hot button topic.
Microsoft Windows 10 nice
Before i had Surface Pro Microsoft Surface Pro , i never cared about Windows 10. I thought its UI is annoying. All those silly space hogging tiles. Now i see the point, i enjoy Win10. Having a digital pen made the difference.
one advantage of Win10 is that it's 1 OS for phone/tablet and desktop. you as a nerd want the desktop UI. Phone OS (iOS, Android) are riddled with things you can't control and phoning home behind your back. Desktop OS, e.g. Win10, you can still control almost 100%.
like a proper paranoid nerd, i turned off all phoning home stuff in Windows 10. (no cortana, no account, no nothing) now, u as linux geek, might cry that Microsoft still covertly do things. lol, u been brainwashed. Today, if u use a phone (iOS/Android), it's 10 times worse.
history of HowStuffWorks.com
how stuff works .com, started in 1998 and sold some 5 times since. The site value went downhill over 20 years, content quality too. It was created by a god believing and robot fear monging guy.
here's my rant open letter to the HowStuffWorks guy, 2003. A Letter to Marshall Brain
there is gravity lamp. That is, it uses a weight to power. when the weight drops to the floor, you manuall pull it to the top. like, hour glass timer. looking at amazon reviews, not that good yet.
solar lamp. elegant. but the few i looked on amazon , lots negative reviews. like, in sun light for 8 hours, lights up just 20 min.
Apple prevents you from fixing Apple product by all means. This video goes into detail.
commit and commitment. #xahwords of the day
Meshes, SDFs, Differential Geometry? We’re Hiring at Standard Cyborg (YC W15)
work in progress. review articles
so now there is braided ethernet cable
all the little things in tech progress
currently, figuring out how to share file between Mac and PC. The old way is this:
and here's some old articles and rants
Flycut. This gives you clipboard history, for the Mac https://github.com/TermiT/Flycut
Python: Keyword Argument Default Value Unstable (minor update. repost)
Buy Surface Pro
again, if you shopping for a laptop, i highly recommend the Surface Pro. amazon Also, get the pen, it truly opens a new dimension in computing. Don't buy the typecover, not worth it. If you need gpu, get the SurfaceBook version. but don't buy the Surface “Laptop” model. I'd say, it beats Apple's Macbook.
Dolby Atmos in Windows 10
with Windows 10, you have a bunch of ad “tiles” popping up on your Win startup menu. One of them is Dolby Atmos.
in the beginning, sound is played back in 1 speaker. Then come stereo. Recorded in 2 channels, play back in 2 speakers. Then, surround, prerecorded 5 channels, 5 speakers. Dolby Atmos is ~128 channels meta info, not pre-fixed into channels. Play back on n-speakers dynamically.
am an ascetic. Stereo is sufficient pleasure. No doubly atoms, i don't have money. thank you.
hackernews flagged me
my article made it to hackernews, but someone flagged it. hohoho https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18640340
see my blog elsewhere for pol stuff.
added current state of Mac vs Windows vs Linux.
so, phone sell declined for the firs time in 2017. and it's said it's gonna continue to decline. #iphone #android
microSD card vs usb 3 flash drive
how's a microSD card differ from a usb 3 flashdrive, besides the form factor? (i've never used any SD card before) (both MacMini late 2014 and Surface Pro 4 has microSD port)
did my research. basically, always just buy usb 3 drive. There's no reason to buy SD card unless u don't have usb ports or something.
note, when you buy a usb drive, never buy those super cheap ones. (they fake disk size report or low quality electronics) buy from reputable brand only.
SanDisk i can trust. amazon
this thing, a usb key, function as a physical key for your online accounts. Not sure how it works. Yubico YubiKey 4 good rating
this one, big laptop backpack, with high rating Inateck 15.6 Inch Laptop Backpack
Go Board Game on Hexagonal and Triangular Grids (old. repost.)
Microsoft Windows is so stupid. it created a myriad ways of the control panel. There's the classic WinXP interface. Then vista interface. and Windows 10 added another. The best UI is just 1 way to get to an item.
what does airplane mode do exactly
it turns off any radio signal the phone may send: wifi, cell phone, bluetooth, usually also turns off gps. Tip: airplane mode is handy to save battery.
you can put your laptop thru x-ray at airport security check
you can put your laptop thru x-ray at airport security check. phone, laptop, hard drive, flash drive, all ok. Back in 2000, the answer given was no. but i guess we know better now.
Microsoft edge browser blocks Google Chrome browser
lol. when u download Google Chrome on Microsoft Surface, then on launching setup, it says check your internet because SmartScreen cannot be reached and can't decide it's safe to run it.
These bloodsucking corps still, but that nobody raises an eyebrow these days.
Microsoft Surface line seems confusing.
- Now there's a surface laptop amazon where the keyboard is not detachable.
- then there's Surface Book amazon where it comes a hard but detachable keyboard (with GPU in it)
- then there's Pro amazon which has a optional slim floppy cover+keyboard.
All have touch screen with digital pen (which can hover like mouse point without touching screen) Why introduce the laptop line? also, they are not set apart by price. Price is diff for cpu and ram level. though, they are better than Apple's for sure. there, i fixed your xmas shopping list.
ok. Surface Laptop sucks. See wiki for detail. Surface Laptop Surface Book is good.
added a calculator.
If you have a question, put $5 at patreon and message me.